Cultivated Reef

JBJ ATO fails

adicus

Sometime last night my JBJ ATO (less than 90 days in service failed). I went to JBJ website and to my surprise, the product is no longer listed. I submitted and email to the warranty group at JBJ requesting an RMA for return and replacement of the unit.

So far all the extra JBJ items I have purchased have failed - Holding my breath waiting for the tank to crack, or all the pumps to fail at once.

Red Sea - Please start shipping your Max 250!!!

I heard good things about the ATO but the TWO I had ended up junk and the third one is still in the box. How did yours fail? Both of mine failed when I was plugging them back in after a water change. When I plugged it in nothing happened, completely dead.

Edited: The time they lasted was just a couple months each.

I have now a SP3000 on a timer that does real well except for it doesn't have a memory to it, meaning every time the surface changes with agitation it makes a horrid sound like a .22 going off instead of with the JBJ it stayed on for a few seconds even if the sensor came back up. The timer helped out so it's not doing it all day anymore just every couple hours.

I went with the aquamedic Niveaumat ATO. It uses an aquamedic dosing style pump. Great little unit - can't say enough good things about it. A bit on the expensive side, but if you search around a bit, you can find them for less than a Franklin.

jc - that's what I have, the SP3000 does yours make a bunch of noise because of surface agitation?

Yeah, that's the one. Mine makes no noise at all. What do you mean noise because of surface agitation? I have it set up with the drip counter going into chamber 1, and the float sensor is in chamber 3. Once in awhile, the peristaltic pump sticks, and makes a kind of soft 'grinding' or 'grating' noise, but usually, I don't even know when it's going. Also, because there is only the one float switch, I have it on its own dedicated timer that goes on 4-5 times a day for a half hour at a time. I'm keeping my eyes open for a timer that has 10 or 15 minute increments though.

I heard good things about the ATO but the TWO I had ended up junk and the third one is still in the box. How did yours fail? Both of mine failed when I was plugging them back in after a water change. When I plugged it in nothing happened, completely dead.

Edited: The time they lasted was just a couple months each.

Don't know how or when (within a day) it failed. Noticed the water level low in my tank and glanced over to see the ATO totally dark.

Interesting - It wasn't listed on their page this weekend.

Archived