Top Shelf Aquatics

top off water PH

Goonter

Okay so i tested my tank PH and it is at 7.8, but this is lights out period. I tested my top off water and the Hagan test turned yellow, so i am unsure what that means but i know it must be a lot lower. So i am wondering, should i be doing a PH buffer to my top off water? Also could this be why my snails and crabs have such a hard time living because my ph in tank probably gets majorly effected by such a low ph top off? Also, if i do get a ph buffer, i know this may sound stupid, but do i use a freshwater one because it is freshwater, or a saltwater because the freshwater topoff will be going into a saltwater reef aquarium. I would think the latter, but i am unsure.

thanks.

Okay so i tested my tank PH and it is at 7.8, but this is lights out period. I tested my top off water and the Hagan test turned yellow, so i am unsure what that means but i know it must be a lot lower. So i am wondering, should i be doing a PH buffer to my top off water? Also could this be why my snails and crabs have such a hard time living because my ph in tank probably gets majorly effected by such a low ph top off? Also, if i do get a ph buffer, i know this may sound stupid, but do i use a freshwater one because it is freshwater, or a saltwater because the freshwater topoff will be going into a saltwater reef aquarium. I would think the latter, but i am unsure.

thanks.

7.8 at night is normal

What type of water are you using for topoff? (RO/DI. Distilled, tap?)

Alk, Ca, Mg levels?

What is your tank's salinity and how are you measuring it? (Because of your snail issue)

Do not worry about the Ph of your topoff. Assuming RO or Distilled it will be at a pH of near 7 until CO2 is absorbed into the water dropping it (aeration will help prevent this), or when it is mixed with something else. Then it takes on the pH of whatever it comes into contact with.

Do not dose buffer without knowing your ALK, CA, and maybe Mg. Your setting yourself up for very bad things.

Now the main culprets for Low pH are excessive CO2 in the tank, Alk/Ca issues, or decaying matter. We need to know more about your tank to poinr you in the right direction though. Also what type of snails?

7.8 at night is normal

What type of water are you using for topoff? (RO/DI. Distilled, tap?)

Alk, Ca, Mg levels?

What is your tank's salinity and how are you measuring it? (Because of your snail issue)

Do not worry about the Ph of your topoff. Assuming RO or Distilled it will be at a pH of near 7 until CO2 is absorbed into the water dropping it (aeration will help prevent this), or when it is mixed with something else. Then it takes on the pH of whatever it comes into contact with.

Do not dose buffer without knowing your ALK, CA, and maybe Mg. Your setting yourself up for very bad things.

Now the main culprets for Low pH are excessive CO2 in the tank, Alk/Ca issues, or decaying matter. We need to know more about your tank to poinr you in the right direction though. Also what type of snails?

Well said man... well said. Couldn't have explained it better myself!

Archived