SaltCritters.com

What To Put In A Canister

DeadSled

So.. im setting up a 75G and have a sump underneath.. basically water comes down into chamber number one.. gets sucked into the skimmer and goes back to chamber one again.. so may go around a few times before overflows to chamber two which then gets pumped into the canister.. then 70% goes up to the tank and 30% goes to the 3rd chamber which will have miracle mud and caulerpa and a few peices of live rock.. which will then overflow into chamber number two and get pumped back up to the tank.

SO question is.. what to put into the canister? I was thinking one sponge which i'll clean out on a weekly or fortnightly basis, a bag of Chemi-Pure Elite and a bag of Purigen.

According to a mate of mine who enjoys keeping up with the ways of DIY Reefing.. he said the above way of doing a Sump is the best way to go.

Well it would of been.. until i found out yesterday that you can close off the valves off the top.. then crack open the lid and pull the top basket out and clean it put it back in and ya done.

I don't think it'd be that much of a pain..

Well it would of been.. until i found out yesterday that you can close off the valves off the top.. then crack open the lid and pull the top basket out and clean it put it back in and ya done.

I don't think it'd be that much of a pain..

I should have explained more. The reason it would be a pain is the amount of space under your tank. I was thinking of having a sump and canister under my stand, then trying to pull the canister out without spilling water everywhere. I guess if your sump didnt fill the the whole space it might not be a pain.

"Whats the best thing to put in a cansiter?........a for sale sign" :haha:

Gotcha.

My sump is on one side of under my stand, canister on the other. Theres a fair bitta room under it as well so it isn't a case of being packed in with no space to work on things.

I don't think you'd want any floss or anything else that might trap detritus. Chemical media would work, if you feel its necessary. You could also put some LR rubble in it.

I was thinking some small LR peices. I haven't got water up.. waitin for my overflow box to dry but i'll probably pull out the foam and swap it for some LR when i get water in.

Archived