inTank Media Baskets

How do you keep your sumps quiet

05XRunner

Run two drains. One will never hopefully be used. Then on the other that is set slightly lower than the secondary drain you put a ball valve on it. Just close the valve until the drain matches the output of the pump. Silent drain due to no air entering it.

Get a double drain overflow box. Then cut a short piece of pvc to extend one of the drains above the normal water level. This will be the overflow drain. Then just strait plumb that one to the sump. Then on the other splice the drain pipe and install the ball valve. Dial it in and your done.

google search "the herbie method" or you can look on reef central for the herbie method. This is the method that thecowkid is talking about, only in much more detail. This is the way that I plumbed my tank and it is extremely quiet.

Oh man, I cant beleive that I just gave info to someone from pittsburg! Go Ravens!

kinda hard to drill a 2nd hole in the tank after its setup.

Not really, I've seen it done before (can't find the video). Basically drain out enough water start drilling on the outside and keep misting it constantly with a water bottle sprayer, on the inside of the tank hold a cup thats bigger than the drill bit in the same place to catch any glass shards. Its really not that hard, but if your afraid then just get an overflow.

kinda hard to drill a 2nd hole in the tank after its setup.

Is it a reef ready tank with a built in internal overflow or did you drill only 1 hole in a standard aquarium? Some of the reef ready tanks come with an internal overflow with 1 drain hole and 1 reurn hole. You can convert this by cutting the drain hole standpipe to 1-2" high from the bottom of he aquarium with a GATE valve under the tank to adjust the flow and you can use the return hole as a backup standpipe drain about 1" below your water level. Then you can use over the top of the tank u-tubes as returns from the sump.

Archived