SaltCritters.com

TDS of 9

WhiteShark

Okay so my RO unit is giving me water with a TDS of 9. I am primarily going to use this water for my ATO and I"m running 135 lb of live rock and probably 60lb of sand, along with a protein skimmer and activated carbon. Will this be an issue?

I'm toying with the idea of getting a DI unit to attach to my RO unit but if a TDS of 9 is not a big deal for just an ATO I may or may not do it. Plus the RO unit is already slow enough as is...Any thoughts?

heres a little story about people who use Ro/Di water for the saltwater aquarium, they buy the unit because it makes 0 TDS water, which i think every person should get one when their system gets to a certain size, instead of going to the stores. but what happens is that they dont clean out their containers and just keep filling it up with ro/di water, without realizing it their tds in the holding containers were 38 tds and higher, what happens when water becomes di is that all the minerals are removed and now the water wants to attract things from the air into the water. so on that note a tds of 9 is totally fine, its good to use an ro unit to remove things from the water like chlorine and other things in tap water that arent good for your aquarium. if you already ordered the di unit then no worries till it get there.

Sweet...I didn't think a TDS of 9 was all that bad (when my LFS's TDS is 4). I figured 0 was the best but 9 for right now would be okay, especially just for top off's...

Archived