Coral Vue Hydros

What should be speed of rotation for bio-wheels in filter?

non-photosynt

non-photosynt

I bought Emperor 400 HOB bio-wheel skimmer, one wheel is able to rotate not too fast, but second gives ether no rotation, or so fast, that wheel folds look like solid mass and it splashes far forward (when lid is off).

Should folds be well visible, or should wheel rotate so fast, that single folds no longer recognizable? I mean like bicycle wheels, when in motion.

Thanks.

I bought Emperor 400 HOB bio-wheel skimmer, one wheel is able to rotate not too fast, but second gives ether no rotation, or so fast, that wheel folds look like solid mass and it splashes far forward (when lid is off).

Should folds be well visible, or should wheel rotate so fast, that single folds no longer recognizable? I mean like bicycle wheels, when in motion.

Thanks.

Take the BIO-Wheels out!

not saying your wrong but other than hear-say why take out the bio-wheel.

They cause nitrate problems unless you replace them every three months.

IDK, worked for me. I had a algea/nitrate problem till I took mine out, so I wouldn't say it is hear-say. Check out my tank in my sig .

OB1 is right, so long as they are wet and turning a handful of times per minute, they are fine.

However, if you have live rock in your tank, they can sit at a dead standstill and it wouldn't amount to a hill of beans. They do the same thing the rock does, except the rock does it better (the rock doesn't need to roll and tumble ;) )

Just take them out if they are fairly new additions. They really won't help you any and have a reputation for storing up junk that contributes to nitrate buildup.

non-photosynt
bio-wheels only need to barely turn to function.
so long as they are wet and turning a handful of times per minute, they are fine.

Precisely what I was looking for!

Thanks, everyone. I will watch wheels closely and test much more frequently, than usual. This is a new thing for me, as an insurance for ammonia spikes withing one day (like fluidized bed), and I will watch closely for sludge build-up in wheels. Already added more filter floss in empty "cages" for finer mechanical filtration, this should help.

This is temporary tank for fast growing messy fish, fed 3x daily and pooping a lot, tassle filefish. Chromis and clown in this tank were fine without additional filter.

Archived