SaltCritters.com

Maxijet Externally

SethSPST

maxi-jets must be submerged, i believe. you could try these.

what exactly are you trying to accomplish? what size is your tank? i'm assuming this is for a closed loop, right?

Yes, for a closed loop. The tank is a 5 gallon cube with a wier cut in the back emptying to an overflow. I'm going to drill the overflow to drain directly into the pump, then the return T-'s into two 1/2" returns drilled into the back. Reason for no sump is it will sit on a counter. Submerged pump is not an option.

ok. for only 5 gallons, the 900 or 1100 that i linked to should work well.

if you can figure out what adaptors you'll need for the input and output.

The MJ Utility pumps will be a good choice that was linked earlier, but is it going to have enough flow for a SCWD to work properly? You are going to have to oversize the pump for the flow rate you want because the SCWD is going to reduce flow quite a bit, if you can get it to work right.

Hopefully your 5 gallon is a custom tank with thicker glass than a standard 10 gallon (1/8"). If it isn't, you will more than likely break the tank trying to drill it.

maxi-jets must be submerged, i believe. you could try these.

what exactly are you trying to accomplish? what size is your tank? i'm assuming this is for a closed loop, right?

I always thought this too, till I read on the box "external applications as well..." and then it got the gears in the brain going. I'm currently running an externally mounted MJ900 for the C/L of my UV and Phos-Ban reactor. Works out nicely!

ext_mj900.jpg

I always thought this too, till I read on the box "external applications as well..." and then it got the gears in the brain going. I'm currently running an externally mounted MJ900 for the C/L of my UV and Phos-Ban reactor. Works out nicely!

but that isn't really external, is it? it looks like you have the intake in the water...

The MJ Utility pumps will be a good choice that was linked earlier, but is it going to have enough flow for a SCWD to work properly? You are going to have to oversize the pump for the flow rate you want because the SCWD is going to reduce flow quite a bit, if you can get it to work right.

yeah, i wasn't thinking about how much flow you need for the SCWD...

I've got both a maxi 900 and 1200 laying around, and as this is going to be flex tubing, I can switch them out if need be. I shouldn't have use the term SCWD, as much as dual return outlets. Even with the split return, I'm looking at close to 200gph, about 40x turnover. Intake and outlets are the same on both the utility and standard maxijet pumps. One of the guys in my club suggested a 1/2" npt to 5/8" hose barb adapter to connect to the inlet. Tank is 1/8" glass, and has already been drilled except the overflow box.

Well, that makes it easier. Still should be cautious with the thin glass though. Some people here that have succesfully drilled the 10g tanks use a support plate with the same size hole in it to spread the stress over a larger area, sandwiched between the bulkheads with a little silicone.

but that isn't really external, is it? it looks like you have the intake in the water...

It is external because from a technical standpoint, an extended inlet going down into the water is really no differant than if I had an actual hose attached to the barbed end piece I have on the end of the inlet. The physical pump itself it out of the water, so it's still supceptable (sp?) to any leak issues any other pump would experience and leak to all over if not all connections were tight. I leak tested the loop before putting it into production. All plumbing pieces are PVC cemented to the MJ, and the hose as you can see is clamped AND cemented for extra precaution. :)

Archived