SaltCritters.com

seeding-how long would it take?

dwhite_2006

Yup. But are we talking about bacterial seeding (for the purposes of the biological filter) or critter seeding?

It's hard to tell how long it takes for the bacteria, unless you simply watch your tank cycle. Otherwise, pods and other creepy stuff will live anywhere you let them.

Get some live sand from an LFS or a fellow hobbiest and you will speed up both "seedings"!

V

i'm talking about bacteria seeding.

My lfs only sells liverock. i don't know why they don't sell LS, since all they would have to do is get sand from the bottom of their tanks.

live rock will turn your sand or substrate in to live sand in a few weeks the cycleing period of the tank is the growth of benificial bacteria. some LFS do sell live sand but its not needed. just get a few pounds of live rock and wait, patience always pays off in the beginnig when starting a new tank. some live sand will speed up the cycling process. but don't worry you don't need LS to have a great tank besides, alot of the live rock is not cured so that takes time in itself for the dead or dying stuff on or in the rock to become netrualized

Archived