Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Budget lighting for a 10g

maciek82

Hey everyone, spent weeks reading about reef tanks, and still so much to learn :D

So I had my whole system planed out but wife won't let me dish out $700+ on yet another new hobby for me. I don't blame her, I get bored of things quickly. :huh:

So I want to build something for coupe hundred bucks (I know I know how expensive this hobby gets), but something small, just to see if I will like it and stick with it.

So far I downgraded to a 10g rimeless tank (if anyone can tell me where to buy one it would be great, been searching for couple hours now). I will have the AC 70 refugium mod and a Koralia for the waves. So far pretty cheap... but next comes lighting, and this is why I'm here.

My goal is to have mushroom, zoas, and LPS. Also a small fish or two. What kind of lighting can I get away with?

Would a Current USA Satellite Dual Compact Fluorescent, 2X40 Watt, 20 inch do the job?

I see the HL 24" 4 Lamp T5 Fixture deal going on now, but I have no idea how I would mount it to a 10g tank, plus it would be a bit of an over kill.

Militant Jurist

You can keep all the corals you've listed under 4 undercabinet T8 fluorescent lights from Wal-Mart. Each costs 6 bucks, and then you'll need to buy the appropriate bulbs (I use 2 actinic and 2 18000K bulbs). If you've still got money in the budget, buy some individual reflectors for the bulbs and DIY. If not, tin foil!

The above listed ghetto setup is what is running the 10 gallon tank in my sig, which has zoas, mushrooms, and LPS.

That HL T5 deal is perfect, if I wasn't in Canada I'd have bought one. I paid that much for my 130w of PC lighting... Mind you, 130w of PC ain't terrible for such a shallow tank. I am growing SPS, LPS and softies under that much.

I see the HL 24" 4 Lamp T5 Fixture deal going on now, but I have no idea how I would mount it to a 10g tank, plus it would be a bit of an over kill.

I'm working on the same setup you're starting. Here's teh light I was planning on - until I got sucked into the 4 lamp fixture you reference.

nova-extreme-t5ho-x2.jpg

http://www.petmountain.com/product/light-f...me-t5ho-x2.html

50 bucks for the 10 gallon size from Pet Mountain. My understanding is it's a pretty good starter lamp for a 10 gallon - but I'm a NOOB like you - and haven't gotten my first tank running yet. Getting darned close though.

Archived