Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Expensive thought

Taylor

Right now Taylor is freaking out going 'Holy ###### these people are fanatical!!'. :)

Taylor - it's important for you to realize that with every hobby there are some definite do's and don'ts and guidelines if you will. I assume that your local fish store that sold you this stuff played a large role in leading you to believe this was perfectly fine thing to do (wouldn't be the first time a local fish store steered somebody in the wrong direction would it guys? ;)). I also make the assumption that you figured a saltwater tank was not really much different than a freshwater tank in terms of ease, etc. Unfortunately, nothing could be further from the truth.

With that said however, this hobby can be extremely rewarding, and can be an absolute blast to share with your kids. Beauty and science as you learn together about the wonders of the reef corals and/or marine fish of our oceans. I know that sounds like a silly advertisement but in all honesty, it really is a fascinating, relaxing and healthy hobby to partake in.

The people that frequent this forum in particular are more adamant about the care and well being of their nano tanks and try to offer advice (even if that advice comes off as sounding rather harsh) to help new nano saltwater aquarium owners get the most out of their new hobby with the least amount of stress to you and the critters you're trying to keep. With that said, everyone really does get along here and are a friendly lot for the most part ;).

I hope you take some time to do a little more research. Scour the forums and read the articles here. You can also find a lot of good information over at ReefCentral.com. It is a little overwhelming at first but once you have the basics down, it gets a lot easier to comprehend much of it. I am a relatively new nano reef keeper (around a year in the hobby) so still have a lot to learn but I do tell you this so you know that if a guy who has never had an aquarium until a year ago can do this, so can you.

Hang in there and keep asking questions. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Obviously you want to do what is right or you wouldn't have posted here in the first place.

Oh and finally, welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

-Jeff

Originally posted by Taylor

But I am really hoping to get better advise on how to take care of these fishes instead of having everyone so mad at me. B]

Honestly, there's no way to take care of a blue tang in a six gallon. They get so big that it wouldn't be able to turn around in the tank. Its like keeping a dog in a bucket.

Zizman was trying to do you a favor and hook you up so you can take it back because he can see that that's your only option if you plan to keep a healthy tank.

Holy christ. 8 people posted before I hit send. Jaysus.

Hmm. Well. Uh.

Ok. We will asume you are not a shill. This post seems to be deliberately crafted to tweak the pet peeves of serious aqauriasts.

Sorry. Your critters can't make it through the new tank syndrome.

See, your fish excrete ammonia (poison), and there are bacteria that will detoxify it, but it takes about a month for it to grow.

Now, Clowns are actually very tough, being in the Damsel family, and they may survive, but any corals you have, as well as the tang, will croak in about a week.

Sorry, but that's the truth.

Now, I've hooked and killed my share of fish, so one more doesn't make me cry, but you should at least be able to get store credit somewhere.

I would suggest searching the internet on "nitrogen cycle" and you will see what is going on here.

Good luck. Sorry you got screwed.

Wow, pretty explosive thread. I would try and call around to any other marine stocked fish stores and explain the situation. See if they'll take the fish and give you store credit. If it's a privately owned fish store, chances are you can wheel and deal with them and start spending your credits with them when the tank levels are correct. As a matter of fact GET THESE TEST KITS ASAP: PH, Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites, and a specific gravity meter.

Hope you aren't too turned off to the hobby as I suspect you are by now. It is VERY REWARDING... It requires alot of knowledge, patience, waiting and testing. Don't take the agressivness of some of these posts personal, but instead as a kick to a fresh start.

Archived