Coral Vue Hydros

New to saltwater and want to know a good setup

NanoNewbie16

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o i c. I found a 16" flourescent light system at my LFS today and it just has one bulb. Ive seen most of the nicer ones have like 4 different bulbs. Do i need the two different types of bulbs (the like daylight one and the actinic one) or would just the actinic one work. I would like to get this one because its oly about 20-25 bucks compared to 42 plus S&H. If its really necessary, ill pay the extra money but if i can still have LR, soft corals, inverts, and a fish or two id prefer to get this one. Thanks for the info on the actinic bulb though.

they make (50/50 or combo) POWER COMPACTS lights that have both different types of lights on one unit....

you were looking at a POWER COMPACT flor. light right? i'd definitely recommend getting pc lighting!

All i no is that the bulb it comes with is just a regular flourescent one but at my LFS they have bulbs made especially for coral i think. If i can recall they're called Corallife bulbs i think. Ya, i just looked them up http://www.petco.com/Productlisting.asp?ta...bs&Dept_ID=1016 they dont have the right size listed but i pretty sure they have the right size at the store. for a 16"light strip, what size bulb do i need.

Ok. Ill take your advice and spend some extra money, because I hate it when you buy something because it doesnt cost much but then you have to upgrade it like crazy later. Thanks.

That 10w 50/50 bulb wont provide for your tank. Not enough lighting and corals need good lighting.

Just take the advice you had before. Get PC lighting - a 36w 50/50 bulb would be a good choice for a 5 gallon tank. And if you are only keeping soft corals such as mushrooms it will be adequate lighting.

Like the others said DONT SKIMP on anything, especially LIGHTING!

Yes a 20w will work. But again your SKIMPING. i would say 36watts is the bare minimum if you are keeping corals. If you want your corals thriving, 20watts wont do it. a 36w 50/50 would provide for the corals to grow and thrive. If its price your worried about, the different in price for a 20w to 36w is very little. But the difference is very big ;)

Seabass what if that doesnt fit in my hood. I have a really weird tank desing, the top is almost completely coverd in plastic except for an area about 9"x4" where the light sits. Will this retrofit work in your opinion.

X) Sorry, not unless a standard 16" strip light would work. The retrofit light just replaces the guts of the strip light with 32W PowerCompact lighting.

??? You might have to go with one of the other bulbs that you were looking at and just keep corals with low light requirements. Otherwise, there are other tank and/or hood options that would be more suitable for keeping corals.

nanonewb16,

seriously...

are you asking for advice or are you just trying to ask questions til you get the answer you want? i've been helping you out the whole time, i think i've been pretty helpful, but you seem to be stuck in your ways... if that's the case... just save the $20 and get those screw-in 10w 50/50 mini pc bulbs and let us know how your corals are doing in a month or two.

hey, i'm pretty new to the hobby and trust me i like to save money too, but you're just being annoying.

if you really want, look in the classifieds (here on nano-reef, your newspaper) or ask people at your lfs and see if they know anyone selling a used lighting set-up that would work for your tank... you want at least 30w of pc lighting, again there's risk involved, but hey... $20 bucks is $20?!?!

ocean/hai

Well damn when did you turn mean. First off my LFS wont tell me anything because they dont think I should do a reef tank if its under 30g anyways so they are not any help. My problem with lighting is that i have an odd tank and i cant find a 16" PC light strip that is at least 36 watts. So that's why I'm having problems with my lighting ok :angry:

Its some gay kit i got at wal-mart. The top is completely covered by plasctic except for a 11x4 opening where there is a small hood with a single incandescent light bulb and it sits on the opening. It also hasa openings in the back for filters, heaters, etc. The tank shape is really weird. It's a hex with a long 16" side on the back. The front is like a bow front except with 5 sides to it (the longest on the front is the one which you mainly view throuhg). So as you can see i have a weird POS tank. The only idea i have is to get a 16" PC strip light w/ legs and fit it on it. thats my tank.

I have that same tank that I use as one of my quarantine tanks. You can pull up the plastic from the frame, carefully, or you can cut off most of the plastic and still leave a frame therefore giving you more room for a light. The plastic light frame would not be good for any light that corals need IMO.

Honestly, to make that tank work would be more hassle then it is worth. You could make it work but would not look easy on the eyes as the lighting would be all over. I would just go buy a new tank and go from there. You have many more options to work with.

Angel

well i would find something that's not a kit. i would just get a plain 5 gallon tank... either all-glass, acrylic, mini-bow, hex... whatever and just piece all the parts you want together that way you have exactly what you want. but i like those 7 gallon mini-bows they're nice! but if you plan on having more than 1 fish than i definitely recommend at least a 10 gallon... mini-bow, mini-bow!!!

Archived