Pod Your Reef

What's wrong with my prettiest coral???

Steve-Ward.net

Steve-Ward.net

I bought this one for all of five bucks about a mong ago and it has quickly become one of my favorites.

First of all, I'm not sure of the name and the LFS just told be it's a "Green Stony Coral" of some sort.

There was actually two, and now I wish I had bought both. ah well.

Anyway, when I got it, it looked like several heads, or polyps, coming off of one large skeletal structure.

Over the past week or two the skeletal structure has receded, making it look more tree-like, as though each head is growing from an individual stalk, or branch.

I will try to attach the before and after photos below. Anyone know what could be going on? I'm using DT's phytoplankton, is there some other additive I should be using?

Thanks

Steve

Steve-Ward.net

Yeah, that's pretty much the story. Any ideas? The coloration is as green as ever, but I got a more powerful lighting setup last night and haven't had time to experiment with my digital photography technique to best show the colors of my tank.

Yes that is a calaustrea , otherwise know as trumpet or candycane coral. It looks like it is doing fine, despite the fact that you had no idea what it was, or , because of that how to care for it and what conditions it required. Stop feeding it the DTs, its a meat eater, not a vegitarian, zooplankton would be better for it. Also dont panic when it starts looking a little funky, it could start splitting soon. When it does you will see more than one mouth per polyp.

Archived