Cultivated Reef

Mushrooms and new light

sdboogie

I have a few mushrooms that were doing fine under inadequate lighting (13W for 10gal). So I got a CSL 40W 10k + 40W act w/night light. It seemed like the right choice. I have since added some green star and yellow polyps to the tank. Both are doing great, fully opened. The mushrooms seemed to do well for about 1 day and now a week later they don't seem to expand like they used to. We're talking silver dollar size down to dime size. Could it be too much light? The light sits on the stilts it came with and the polyps which seem sensitive are opened, even after the molesting to glue the frag on a rock. I am currently trying to remove phosphates with sponge (not going well). And my last water test showed some ammonia. From where, I don't know. Nothing has died and I don't feed anything except microdoses of phyto a couple time a week(for the spondylus). And since the last test, I changed about %50 of the water. I need to test again to see where the phosphate and ammonia levels are. But since the polyps are doing fine, I expect the mushrooms to do alright. Am I missing something?

sounds like you covered it all. maybe the amonia came from a hitchiker that passed on to the great reef in the sky? i dunno got me stupmed on that one. either that or you cat ####ed in you tank. (just kidding)

if your shroms don't open i a few days move them to a more shady spot in your tank and see if that helps.

Archived