Coral Vue Hydros

Alkalinity?

FalcoNg

Well I have been cycling my bc29 for over three weeks now and my ammonia and nitrite levels have gone down to next to nothing, while my nitrates are around 7.

I figure that I am ready to start adding a clean-up crew but I am little worried about the alkalinity of the water. Using my Seachem test kit, it has consistently measured between 5 and 5.5 for the past three weeks.

I am wondering if I need to raise it to somewhere between 8-12 and how to do so.

burtbollinger

I would simply use some alk buffer to bring it up....a nice water change with some up-to-par salt water might also be in order (5 gal or so)...

how are the rest of your parameters?

Thanks for the replies,

I think I just made a goofball mistake. Looks like the kit measures it in meq/L, not dKH. Guess I'll search online to look for a conversion.

As of yesterday my parameters are as follows:

pH 8.1

Alk 5 meq/L

NH3 0.01 mg/L

NO2 0.01 mg/L

NO3 5 mg/L

sg 1.023

temp 80F

edit*

Well from using an online converter it seems like my dKH is at 14 which is too high. Guess I have the opposite problem than originally posted.

Thanks,

Going to get a couple errands done then its straight to a local reefers house that has kindly donated some chaeto and after that its to the LFS for my first livestock purchase.

Archived