Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reef Salt Mix Study from 2007

burtbollinger

This study has been discussed in detail over at Reef Central by chemist Randy Holmes Farley and others. Many believe the results of this study are inaccurate. Also, the common consensus is that AWT results are generally inaccurate and biased.

Who was it - kmitch? weetie? Someone started a thread about this once, I know it...

Masterbuilder may have been the one that started it, but I contributed to the discussion, mostly cause that was when I was having so many salt problems.

I'm happy with my D-D H2O Pro salt now. :happy:

masterbuilder

Forget the surveys. Just buy a quality salt like D-D H20, Tunze, Tropic Marin (regular) and be happy. Even if you have to order it online....in the long run you will be happier. I know these are more expensive than some of the other LFS brands, but if you do the math your talking about 4 or 5 bucks a month difference in our little nanos. Its more than worth it IMO.

I you had a 100G+ tank then the price is quite significant....thats one reason the cheap ones like IO or Reef Crystals are so popular....MOST reef tanks are large.

Mark

I just found a LFS that has tropic marin buckets...driving out there next week to pick some up...

this is the salt i use, IMO its worth the money and water clarity is improved. use to use kent

This study has been discussed in detail over at Reef Central by chemist Randy Holmes Farley and others. Many believe the results of this study are inaccurate. Also, the common consensus is that AWT results are generally inaccurate and biased.

and yet it's the "latest thing" in some clubs -_-

AWT is pretty accurate. sure if you are RHF using a lamont kit, you may quibble, but for those of us using a salifert... the AWT kicks our ars

I just bought a bucket of tunze salt, I have high hopes for it... anyone used it?

masterbuilder
I just bought a bucket of tunze salt, I have high hopes for it... anyone used it?

I have for the last 6 months or so. Quite happy, no problems.

Calcium 420 API

Alkalinity 9-9.5 dkh API

Magnesium 1260 Salifert

PH 8.2-8.3 Probe

Be sure and mix your bag/bucket well before mixing, that goes for any salt really.

burtbollinger

how do you mix your bag? I got a bucket of tropic marin yesterday....its in a bag inside a bucket.

what is your procedure....thanks!

Also, you recommended Tropic Marin (regular)...is there a problem with the pro reef version? thats what I picked up.

Following are notes that I saved - someone else posted here

TM Pro is designed to be used with a calcium reactor or kalkwasser drip

TM Pro is lower in ALK to offset the use of reactors and/or kalkwasser drips that increase ALK over time.

Tropic Marin:

”Our PRO-REEF sea salt contains calcium and alkalinity for synthetic sea water with

ca. 450 ppm calcium and 7° dKH.

If you do not add any calcium or alkalinity additives especially the alkalinity might sink a bit. This is usually not detrimental as long as the alkalinity does not reach values below 5°dKH which usually should not be the case if regular weekly water changes are done.”

Archived