inTank Media Baskets

How would you design my sump?

itzclayyo

Okay, so I'm in a tight situation with my 135g. The stand is a PITA and there is nothing I can do about it. Here's a pic.

004-1.jpg

Each "section" is only 24". I have to work with what I got though. I have room to the left of the tank to do something (outside of the stand). I have an extra 30g with a stand as well.., possible frag tank connected to the system?

Judging that an 18g rubbermaid bin can fit into one of the sections, how would you do this? I'm so confused on what to do....

Since the main sump tank can only be 18g, water there can't be a lot of water drainage into it. The tank will drian about 9 gallons in a power outage to the sump. So I plan on filling the sump only a fourth full to be safe.

If I drill the frag, cheato, or skimmer tank right bellow the water line, then it will only drain from that tank another gallon or so correct?

I have all my equipment and want to get this started soo bad. The tank is already drilled as a dual overflow, so I have to go with that as well. What do you guys think of these ideas? What do you think is best and why? Will they work? What will happen in a power outage? Thanks a bunch!

A-

fragtankfiltration.jpg

B-

cheatofiltration.jpg

C- same concept as B

skimmerfiltration.jpg

jmigchelbrink

I would seriously consider doing it right the first time and just build a new stand. It may cost more and take longer, but in the long run I bet you would be glad you did it.

That being said, if you want to keep the stand, I would get two more of those 18 gallon rubbermaid containers and daisy chain them together, all at the same height. Send the drain to one of them, the water height will be constant in all. Set on up as a fuge, one for a skimmer, or whatever.

In terms of water level it would be equivalent to one long, continuous sump. The only draw back I see immediately is that you could not adjust the flow through the fuge independently. It would be a lot less complicated though.

I would also recommend linking 3 tubs together for one continuous sump if you're not gonna redesign the stand. Option A seems nice too.

I can't redo the stand. I would love to but the color of it and the canopy are one of the main reasons my wife let me get the tank. I'm probably going to go with what jmigchelbrink suggested. Question though-

1-2-3

^^ represent the 3 sumps.

Would 1 have to have a higher water line then 2, and 2 have a higher water line as 3? And do the pipes have to be the same way- 1-2 higher then 2-3.

Thanks.

I can't redo the stand. I would love to but the color of it and the canopy are one of the main reasons my wife let me get the tank. I'm probably going to go with what jmigchelbrink suggested. Question though-

1-2-3

Would 1 have to have a higher water line then 2, and 2 have a higher water line as 3? And do the pipes have to be the same way- 1-2 higher then 2-3.

Thanks.

You can always frame the stand or add support by adding 2X2 or 2X4 squares or box frames on the side panels (on the inside) and then cutting the middle columns out. Then box frame the top panel with a 2X4. You then pick a sump of your liking "say a 55 gallon" then enclose it inside the stand and add 2X4 support on the back. Yes, it will hold. It's like putting a roll cage inside a car but using 2X4's or 2X2 wood.

It would be easier to modify the stand than to modify a sump.

1-2-3

Thanks.

Tank 1,2,3 do not have to be higher than each other....only the overflows into each tank have to be lower than the smallest tank. if you had all the overflows level then it would work exactly like one big tank.

You can always frame the stand or add support by adding 2X2 or 2X4 squares or box frames on the side panels (on the inside) and then cutting the middle columns out. Then box frame the top panel with a 2X4. You then pick a sump of your liking "say a 55 gallon" then enclose it inside the stand and add 2X4 support on the back. Yes, it will hold. It's like putting a roll cage inside a car but using 2X4's or 2X2 wood.

+1

jmigchelbrink

Thats not a bad idea. If you really wanted to you could build a 2x4 skeleton and frame it with the wood from the existing stand.

But if you do daisy chain the tubs, as long you connect all of them below the water level, the pressure will equalize and they will all be the same height.

i second this idea! then you will have all ur equip, filtration in one sump, not multiples. less chances for problems. it would actually be rally easy to supprt that stand with 2x4's, and get rid of those dividers. n pretty cheap too!

i think this is ur best bet. would solve many probs. and a cheap mod too! and really u would have a lot more room. u could position ur sump all the way to one side, and have room on the other for supplies/frag tank/etc etc.

cant wait to see this take off!

this is how i would do this:

build a rectangle out of 2x4's and screw it directly to the bottom of the top shelf tht the tank rest on.

place a 2x4 inside front on the bottom, standing on its 2" side, running the lenth of the stand.

add three verticle 2x4's inside the stand at the front, on e where each of the dividers are.

place a 2x4 inside back on the bottom, laying flat, running the length of the stand.

add three more verticle 2x4's inside the back of the stand where the dividers where.

depending on what sump u use, u may have to place it in the stand before installing the rear verticle supports.

good luck!

jmigchelbrink

I don't know if this is obvious or not, but make sure you link the sumps with a larger diameter pipe than you have for the drain. That could be bad.

def! if ur not gonna remove the dumb braces they have built ur stand with...make sure, like said above, connect ur sumps with a large diameter pipe! say drain: 1" connect sumps 1 1/2" to 2" ie!

Archived