Cultivated Reef

Flat Worm Eating Fish

twenty12

Looking to find out if there are any fish that eat flat worms that are reef safe. Unfortunately I got a infestation of flat worms and have tried flatworm exit. It seemed to work (tried it twice) as it kills a bunch and I don't see them any more. But then in a week or two I start to see them again. So... I am looking for other alternatives as the solution seems to not fully eradicate.

I have a 30 gallon tank, so looking for smaller fish species as well.

Looking to find out if there are any fish that eat flat worms that are reef safe. Unfortunately I got a infestation of flat worms and have tried flatworm exit. It seemed to work (tried it twice) as it kills a bunch and I don't see them any more. But then in a week or two I start to see them again. So... I am looking for other alternatives as the solution seems to not fully eradicate.

I have a 30 gallon tank, so looking for smaller fish species as well.

6 line wrasse

i don't recommend a scooter as it'll run out of food quickly after eating the flatworms (assuming it does, i don't know if it will)

sixline wrasses are relatively cheap and will eat them. semi-aggressive but if you get a smaller one it shouldn't be an issue.

i think a yellow coris will eat them too.

a mystery wrasse will eat them and they're gorgeous. expensive though and you'll need a 30+ gallon tank

Will most members of the wrasse family eat flat worms or is it limited to the 6-Line? I was looking around at other wrasse fishes like the McCosker's Flasher Wrasse and trying to figure out how to know if it will eat flatworms.

Most fairy and flasher wrasses are planktonic feeders and its very, very unlikely they would eat flatworms. Look for wrasses with Halichoeres and Pseudocheilinus specie names.

dahliaheartsyou

kinda off topic ish, not really...

but, i need a fish that eats flat worms and plan on getting a sixline, but it will be my first fish and i know you aren't suppose to add the more aggressive first because they get territorial, so i was thinking on adding another smaller fish at the same time, but then i don't want to add to much at once...

any ideas?

thanks =]

For the 29? Either way, you'd want to stick to semi-aggressive fish that can't be easily beaten on if you get the 6-line. Firefish are usually a prime target for 6-line aggression just because they can be so shy and timid, so I'd avoid fish of that sort. Maybe an Orchid Dottyback or a clown being an obvious/common choice for something that can handle itself. Assessors may be ideas, hawkfish if you don't have ornamental inverts, just to name a few.

For the OP, I agree with those that have commented on the Yellow Coris Wrasse. It is a member of the Halichoeres genus and about the only one that stays small enough to be happy long-term in a 30 gallon tank. An H. melunarus may be a decent idea as well, and it is arguably more attractive, but it can get up to 6" in length and might feel a little cramped in the tank. I personally don't care for the 6 or 4-line wrasses because of their aggression and the possibility of them attacking or killing shrimp and other inverts. That being said, they aren't ugly fish and many people do love them.

Hello my name is matt, and I have a flat worm problem...no in all seriousness it sucks.

Don’t give up yet on flat worm exit. I just had a long bout, NASTY infestation - I mean like epidemic levels...Dosed flat worm exit every 3 days for 2 weeks, double the recommended amount. I did that, and then bought a 6 line wrasse, happy to say I’m flat worm free for 3 weeks

Now I’m not claiming victory yet, but in the past flat worm populations would have rebounded and they would be all over the glass within a weeks time of just 1 use of flat worm exit.

Well I am a little worried about the 6-Line Wrasse in my tank since I have fish that are shy (firefish and yellow watchman). Doing some research based on the genus recommended it looks like the scarlet pinstripe wrasse might be a good choice. Anyone with experience as to the attitude of this fish compared to a 6-Line?

petkingdom619

i believe those are the common ones you see in stores. Would one of those in a 60g bother a clownfish,dwarf angel, or fairy wrasse?

i thought damsels are a little territorial?

Archived