SaltCritters.com

Nano 12DX Powerhead Upgrade Question

packisbak1

I have a 12 gallon JBJ Nano DX running with all standard equipment. I have been battling cyano and am considering upgrading the powerhead to improve water circulation. Are there any good powerheads that you would recommend that I could replace the stock pump with that would increase circulation without increasing the temperature in the tank?

mini jet 606 is the standard for the NCDX. many people also use maxijet 600s. an mj900 would be an upgrade, i think it's the same size as a mj600. i am not use if the mj1200 will fit but it might be too much flow anyway.

EDIT: it would be best if you found the source of your cyano. i suspect phosphates or use of tap water for topoffs. have you tried cleaning the stock pump? that might be a cause for low flow.

mini jet 606 is the standard for the NCDX. many people also use maxijet 600s. an mj900 would be an upgrade, i think it's the same size as a mj600. i am not use if the mj1200 will fit but it might be too much flow anyway.

EDIT: it would be best if you found the source of your cyano. i suspect phosphates or use of tap water for topoffs. have you tried cleaning the stock pump? that might be a cause for low flow.

Thanks for the advice. I use RO/DI water so I am not sure where the phosphates would be coming from. I also think that I feed pretty lightly and do 10-20% water changes every 1-2 weeks. I also have some red bubble algae growing.

Thanks for the advice. I use RO/DI water so I am not sure where the phosphates would be coming from. I also think that I feed pretty lightly and do 10-20% water changes every 1-2 weeks. I also have some red bubble algae growing.

overstocked?

crappy RO/DI unit or crappy water store not changing its filters?

overstocked?

crappy RO/DI unit or crappy water store not changing its filters?

Might be a bad water store. I should test the phosphates in the water before I use it. My tank has two small clowns so I do not think I am too crowded.

You really want to take control of your water, IMO. Making your own is the best way to do that. I was dependent on a store for awhile and battled algae despite them claiming that it was testing fine. I ordered my own TDS meter and discovered the water they were selling me was worse than my tap water. Do yourself a big favor and invest in a RO/DI unit if you can.

You really want to take control of your water, IMO. Making your own is the best way to do that. I was dependent on a store for awhile and battled algae despite them claiming that it was testing fine. I ordered my own TDS meter and discovered the water they were selling me was worse than my tap water. Do yourself a big favor and invest in a RO/DI unit if you can.

haha

i think i remember reading a post about that a while back (not that your water issues are funny).

Wouldn't hurt, but it won't solve the problem. Purigen works like a "super" carbon. There are filter "pads" that remove phosphates though. But really, you need to find out where the phospahtes are being introduced, IF that is the problem.

Archived