SaltCritters.com

Must have tools, tests, supplements etc. to get started

DTDreefz

Hi guys, I would like to know what any of you experienced nano-reefers would recommend a beginner start with, if anything(hygrometer and thermometer a given). There is a LFS near me which is going out of business, and everything is 60% off! This means I can get test kits and supplements etc. for pretty dang cheap! I may go pick up some salt if anything, but I did grab a nitrite test kit to the tune of $4!

Hi guys, I would like to know what any of you experienced nano-reefers would recommend a beginner start with, if anything(hygrometer and thermometer a given). There is a LFS near me which is going out of business, and everything is 60% off! This means I can get test kits and supplements etc. for pretty dang cheap! I may go pick up some salt if anything, but I did grab a nitrite test kit to the tune of $4!

skip the hygrometer and get yourself a refractometer, you'll be much happier in the long run. Get test kits for ph, alk, calcium, and nitrite. depending upon the size of your tank, you might need any supplements as for smaller tanks you will sufficiently be replacing any diminished components of the water through regular water changes. Supplementing calcium, if you maintain hard corals, is not a bad idea though.... Oh, and good lighting and sufficient internal flow are key as well!

skip the hygrometer and get yourself a refractometer, you'll be much happier in the long run. Get test kits for ph, alk, calcium, and nitrite. depending upon the size of your tank, you might need any supplements as for smaller tanks you will sufficiently be replacing any diminished components of the water through regular water changes. Supplementing calcium, if you maintain hard corals, is not a bad idea though.... Oh, and good lighting and sufficient internal flow are key as well!

Thanks for your input, I just recently saw mention of a refractometer on here, so Ill look into one of those for sure! Im hoping this sale Im checking out had a decent multi test-kit still

If your going the nice reef route I'd recommend these test kits.

Alkalinity

Calcium

Magnesium (important for keeping alk and cal in tune)

Ammonia if you still setting up, its good to have anyways, worth $4

Nitrite for same reason as ammonia

Nitrate is important to have, can be a problem issue later on.

Koralia's are good for flow

Lights are important for keeping coral, PC's for soft coral, T5 or Halides for nicer stuff (you'll want these later regardless)

Refractometer is the way to go.

Pick up some salt if you can. Stray away from instant ocean. Get something with calcium already in it like reef crystals, seachem reef, oceanic, red sea pro salt. Get a bucket, way easier than the stupid bags.

A good two part kit will be good too, like b-ionic. This is just alkalinity in one bottle and calcium in the other. They're nice to have, and you'll probably use them.

Get a bag of sand, try to get oolitic aragonite, not crushed coral.

Thats all i can think of right now. I might be back later lol

:welcome:

like said above, good reef route:

def a good multi test kit!

ro/di unit

salt- red sea coral pro

sand- arag alive

filter- hob modified fuge....need to know tank though

thermometer

refractometer

stay away from dosing chems in ur earlier stages. keep up on ur water changes, n u will be fine.

def korilias for internal flow.

...really cant answer the rest, need to know what type of tank u have/getting. what type of corals ur expecting to keep. and i will gladly give u my opinion!

and can even point u to some online vendors, if ur lfs doesnt have somestuff!

All great suggestions, and I would also add a phosphate test kit as well.

eventually you'll need live rock, too, so if that's on sale, it's definetly easier to buy it locally.

Archived