Cultivated Reef

Highest TDS possible

w1dude

Suprisingly my Coralife RO unit is reading 6-7TDS while the RO/DI i was buying from my LFS was about 22. My question is, Can I mix RO under 10TDS? What is the highest TDS possible to mix and be safe? Last, if my TDS stays under 10, do I need a DI?

Sorry for all the questions!

Personally I replace my DI resin as soon as it starts to read 1 TDS. I see that you only have RO, but it's relatively inexpensive to upgrade it to an RO/DI, and well worth the money in my opinion. You never know what that 6-7 TDS is...it could be copper, phosphate, nitrate, or any number of other things that you want to keep out of your reef!

Hope to help,

Anna :)

HecticDialectics
Suprisingly my Coralife RO unit is reading 6-7TDS while the RO/DI i was buying from my LFS was about 22. My question is, Can I mix RO under 10TDS? What is the highest TDS possible to mix and be safe? Last, if my TDS stays under 10, do I need a DI?

Sorry for all the questions!

Your RO water is better than the "RO/DI" water you're buying, so definitely just stick with that for now. But I'd look into adding a DI stage to your coralife unit. It really is pretty cheap, I think a full size DI stage can be had for $40-50.

Then of course after the first purchase, down the road when the DI gets exhausted, it's all of like $10 for a refill.

Personally I replace my DI resin as soon as it starts to read 1 TDS. I see that you only have RO, but it's relatively inexpensive to upgrade it to an RO/DI, and well worth the money in my opinion. You never know what that 6-7 TDS is...it could be copper, phosphate, nitrate, or any number of other things that you want to keep out of your reef!

Hope to help,

Anna :)

+1! I don't put ANYTHING in my tank other than 0 TDS for the reasons mentioned above.

Archived