Innovative Marine Aquariums

thermometer for mixing salt

Guest theoldman

Guest theoldman

I'm looking for an accurate thermometer for my salt water mixing bucket.

Any suggestions?

I have a American Marine thermometer in my tank and I love it but I'm looking for something simple (and a little cheaper) for the bucket.

I thought about just a basic glass tube thermometer for the bucket but I'm concerned about breaking it.

Has anyone used these types?

Are they accurate?

BTW: I just threw two Coralife Digital Thermometers in the garbage.

both totally inaccurate - both six months old.

Well I use a temp probe. Made by Traceable. It is considered lab grade. Used to use it in high school chemistry. I only own it because I "took" it as my graduation present. It will do -50 to 150C

Guest theoldman
Well I use a temp probe. Made by Traceable. It is considered lab grade. Used to use it in high school chemistry. I only own it because I "took" it as my graduation present. It will do -50 to 150C

nice graduation present.

I'm hoping to find a simple solution.

thanks

HecticDialectics

I don't use anything to measure the temp in my salt mix bucket. I calibrated my mixing heater to 79 once, and it was good to go...

I give it a quick flash of my infrared thermometer right before I switch out the water though.

Guest theoldman
I keep this: http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageA...amp;ProdID=1374 in my main display tank I find it very accurate. Checked against my temp probe it won't be off more than .3F.

Hellolights won't ship to Canada!

but thanks for your input.

glass thermometer.

accurate, and if you break it, only another 3 dollars for a new one

This is what I had in mind but I didn't know if they were accurate.

Do you use mercury or alcohol?

Oh sorry, did not see what country you hailed from.

Concerning the glass thermometer. I had 2. Both alcohol. Cannot find mercury anymore. I say had because they moved inside the tube when I accidentally dropped it. It did not break but the temps where off 3 degrees on one and 5 degrees on the other. They both where very accurate until I dropped them.

Archived