Pod Your Reef

JBJ Auto Top Off is Stupid Or ...

Colione

So I just hooked up the JBJ ATO onto my tank.

Set it all up, testing / playing around with it I pumped a bit too much water in, now the float valve is totally submerged ....

Here is the stupid part.

When the float valve is TOTALLY submerged it turns the pumps ON. What the hell?

I play with the valve, if the water is too low, it turns it on, if the water is juuuust right, it turns the pump off, but if the water is too high it turns the pump on too!

What the freakin' heck!??!?!?!

Is mine broken? Is there a reason for this? It seems like the only thing it would do is flood my floor.

The reason I have an issue with this is that when I go into FEED mode, water in the chamber rises, which would cause the ATO to start to turn on for some stupid reason.

Anyone have any experience with this??

Thanks!

Cole

HecticDialectics
You know about the A and B switch on the side, right?

I'd start with the instructions.

+1

I don't even own it, and know you got your valves all mixed up. :P

I had trouble with getting mine set up with both floats and just decided to use the one (couldnt find the right placement for both switches on mode b in back of my NC). It works perfectly on mode A with the one float in the back.

I know there's different modes! *O_o*

I figured it out ... but thank you for all of the fast responses ...

well actually I didn't figure it out, but I got it to work right.

I moved the float valve to the other side of the tank. My only guess is that it was hitting something?

I tested it in buckets of water, worked fine, put it back in the left chamber, submerge it 1" and it would click back on. It was infuriating.

So anyways, moved it to the exact same chamber on the other side of the tank. Works fine. yay!

Float valves are finiky animals. Mine accidently got switched to B once (set up with a flaot in the tank and one in the ATO bucket I have) and I freaked out for about 10 minutes until I realized the switch was set wrong, lol! :ninja:

i reversed the second switch on its head to act as a fail sensor and turn off the pump in case of sensor A sticking. there's no safety in the reservoir but i use an aqualifter anyways.

• 1 month later...

Just to let you know, I had the exact same problem with mine. I would take the float out of the tank, and it would work fine, then put it back into my 3rd chamber, and it wouldn’t work. Then I had a look around to see what it might be hooking up on, but there was nothing there, the only thing that I had was the magnet for my tunzey. I tried pulling it away from the magnet and it turned off, I moved it close to the magnet, and it would turn on every time. It was the magnet of the tunzey that was messing up my sensor, so take a look at your tank, and see if there is a magnet next to it, or some were near it!

I upgraded my JBJ ATO float switches to this from floatswitches.net. The float is heavier and non-corrosive since all its components are stainless :

FLT240LargePhoto.jpg

I should have gotten these ones though:

FLT235ALargePhoto.jpg

Archived