Top Shelf Aquatics

Dead fish, effects on tank?

sirhobbes

Ok, my tanks been up for a week now,

The water was cycled, all the levels were cool so i added a damsel yesterday.

Today I was doing a water change, about 1 gallon out of the 11 gallon tank and now no more damsel. I dont know what happened to him, but hes not under the rocks or anything, I cant find the f*cker. Anyways, I assume he swam into a rock or something becuz theres no way he jumped out or i sucked him up.

If he is dead ,and I cant find his body to remove, will it have a horrible effect on the cycle of the tank. I just added in 5 hermits and 3 turbo snails today as cleaners. I hope he comes out of the rock in the next few hrs otherwise i guess hes gone.

My rock is looking great, starting to get some nice pink bacteria on it.

By the way, i have a cpr bak pak skimmer, so I assume that thing will help a lot in removing waste from the tank. What are your opinions? I was thinking of adding my maroon clown tommorow, but not if the load on the tank could be overly disturbed by this dumb damsel.

thanks for the advice

~bon

I would wait on adding another fish for a little bit. Atleast until you find out what happened to the other one.

If it were me I would wait atleast 2-4 weeks until the tank is more stable.

Just check your ammonia before you decide to add another fish, but I think the tank will be fine.

Do you have any pets that might have eaten it if it jumped from the tank?

Ok, 1 week is almost always not a long enough cycle. Maroon clown?? What size tank? Any dead critter will effect you paramaters, get it out of ther if at all possible. Or maybe you have a hitcher in there that snagged it. Also, you know that clowns are damsels right? That fish combo has a good chance of scraping.

It came out, thank god, he was hidden in rocks. The tank looks great, might wait on the clown and add a 6 line wrasse instead. I heard there pretty hardy, I hate the damsel he never swims around, all he does is hide in a hole he found in the rock. I think im gonna get rid of him.

my tank is cycled, the amonia levels are low

any advice on fish for a small tank that will do well, and are active. would a 6 line wrasse and a maroon get along?

Archived