ReefCleaners.org

generic ebay skimmer

jSully

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PROTEIN-SKIMMER-w-...1742.m153.l1262

I've got a 20H and I was looking into the prices for a DIY counter-current skimmer.. with the clear piping, it's giong to get costly, so I started browsing ebay. $34.95 for this 530gph venturi skimmer. It would fit perfectly inside my HOB fuge and the pump has a nozzle on it to control flow so I could back it down to approx 150-200gph (ish) by leaving it only 1/3 open... or so, I could play with that a bit..

So, opinions? Is it worth the $35?

asthegloryfades

depends on what you can find locally. I found a cpr bakpak skimmer for $50 here the other day which is about what that comes out to with shipping. I would check CL but if you cant find something there then in the whole scheme of things $50 isnt a massive investment

it looks like junk to me and i'm definitely not an equipment snob. it's only 435 though, so worth the rish IMO.

ah well.. junk or not, this skimmer is better than no skimmer and that's what I've got right now: no skimmer..

it'll be nice to clear up the water.. lol

Boyu's on Ebay work great IMHO I've got the 308 and it's a dream skims dark brownish black and rocks my world plus its pump is in the bottom of the cylinder so no need for an added powerhead. Only downside is you have to find the one with the 220-110 converter cuz they're only made for 220 right now.

er1c_the_reefer

oh! i had one of these a LONG while back when i was a n00b (still am) and they suck come stock. if you mod it though, it turns into a pretty decent skimmer. stock, the pump it comes with is probably too strong for the skimmer body thus creating too much turbulence in the reaction chamber to do much good, and considering the way it makes bubbles... it doesn't produce much in the first place. if you do get it, i suggest adding a venturi, which you can make out of PVC, to the pump intake and modding the pump impellar with a bioball needlewheel. you'd also have to cover up the hole that the air intake normally is with some epoxy. also note that the break in time for the skimmer is a long time because they use some weird plastic.

ah well.. junk or not, this skimmer is better than no skimmer and that's what I've got right now: no skimmer..

it'll be nice to clear up the water.. lol

wrong, you dont want a skimmer to constantly pulling wet champagne skimmate, or overfills every 2 hours.

if it pulls overly wet, you are removing salt water from the tank. then you go top it off with RO water which over time the salinity level will drop.

if it overfills you basically added an expensive water movement appliance.

Archived