Top Shelf Aquatics

My new addition is a bicolor angel!

jjohnson3

I went to my LFS and I saw a beautiful Bicolor Angel. I couldn't resist. Everything is fine on the angel for now except I noticed it to have a paleness on its sides. Its been in the tank for about 3 hours and seems to be doing ok. Not shy at all! Is the paleness just a sign of stress?

Params

salinity---1.025

temp-----78.7

ph------8.3

nitrate---safe

nitrite----safe

ammonia-safe

I just did a five gallon waterchange before I added the fish. All other fish/inverts are fine. No coral currently.

burtbollinger

um...how big of tank? 20 or less, (30 IMHO) I'd return him, it could be stressful longterm....

these are a bit tricky to care for, but the color change doesnt seem that abnormal.....as long as he seems to be eating, you hvae plenty of LR and hes swimming, I say youre on the right track...

from WWM:

these fish are among the more difficult of the pygmy angels to keep. You've picked yourself a good challenge. Your best bet would be to obtain [if you don't have it already] some really healthy live rock with a good crop of micro- and macro algae that this fish can pick at. Most all pygmy angels constantly pick at these food-stuffs in the wild, and bringing in similar fauna will promote your success. If things don't turn around very soon, or if you can't get the live rock, try taking a frozen food like Pygmy Angel Formula - thaw it out, and then press small chunks of it into a piece of rock or smooth [dead] coral. This will simulate their natural food source and likewise their natural method for feeding. You can prepare several rocks in one sitting and re-freeze the ones you don't use immediately.

edit: just a thought worth keeping in back of mind...it could be beginnings of lateral line....

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/bicolorangfaqs.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/dwfangdisfaqs.htm

um...how big of tank? 20 or less, (30 IMHO) I'd return him, it could be stressful longterm....

these are a bit tricky to care for, but the color change doesnt seem that abnormal.....as long as he seems to be eating, you hvae plenty of LR and hes swimming, I say youre on the right track...

from WWM:

these fish are among the more difficult of the pygmy angels to keep. You've picked yourself a good challenge. Your best bet would be to obtain [if you don't have it already] some really healthy live rock with a good crop of micro- and macro algae that this fish can pick at. Most all pygmy angels constantly pick at these food-stuffs in the wild, and bringing in similar fauna will promote your success. If things don't turn around very soon, or if you can't get the live rock, try taking a frozen food like Pygmy Angel Formula - thaw it out, and then press small chunks of it into a piece of rock or smooth [dead] coral. This will simulate their natural food source and likewise their natural method for feeding. You can prepare several rocks in one sitting and re-freeze the ones you don't use immediately.

edit: just a thought worth keeping in back of mind...it could be beginnings of lateral line....

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/bicolorangfaqs.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/dwfangdisfaqs.htm

My tank is 38 gallons. The only other fish are two occelaris clowns and a firefish. About 40-50 pounds of live rock and 40 pounds of live sand. He/she ate some emerald entree. Its still a little skittish. It will come out of its cave for a few seconds and then go back in. No darting so its not freaked out. Seems to be colored up a little bit. This may be a good sign. Ill be watching it a lot today. I observe my tank at least an hour every day. Its addictive!

I'd be optimistic then, i think color change is normal form time to time....on angels tho, i have lil personal experience....good luck!

Ok. Thanks a million!

Archived