ReefCleaners.org

questions about protein skimmer for new tank

laeclaserind

I'm researching setting up a small reef tank (I've been looking at a 14 gallon Bio-Cube) and I'm not sure of what kind of protein skimmer to buy. I've looked at these four: Red Sea Berlin Air-Lift, Lee's Counter Current Skimmer, Current USA Fission Nano Skimmer, Bio-Cube Nano Skimmer. I've heard mostly bad things about all of them, but many people online seem to speak negatively about all the skimmers that cost less than $150. What I'm really wondering is if one of these less expensive skimmers will suit my needs or if I really need to save my money for a more expensive one. I really appreciate any help!

I know that the red sea berlin, fission nano, and biocube stock skimmer are all products you do not want. In any case, you do not need a skimmer if you keep up with water changes.

I know that the red sea berlin, fission nano, and biocube stock skimmer are all products you do not want. In any case, you do not need a skimmer if you keep up with water changes.

If I wanted to put the skimmer in just for better water quality, would any of these be at all suitable? Also I've heard about a Sapphire Aquatics nano skimmer that seems to be well liked on the internet but I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere.

Red Sea tends to get pretty poor reviews on their protein skimmers but the airlift seems to be getting okay reviews (at least on marine depot...people seem pleasently surprised with it). However, I don't think the airlift has been out for all that long so the results are limited. DO NOT get the Current USA Fission Skimmer. From what I've heard/read its about as effective at skimming as a paper weight would be. I know several people have used the bio cube skimmer in their system with decent results.

IMHO I think some people tend to have issues going with smaller protein skimmers. I'm not saying they don't work well and people do have success. I just think the margin of error is slightly higher though.

the saphire is sold through nano customs, it is about 100 dollars as well. the big thing about a skimmer is if you are going to run one get the best you can afford because if you go cheap on some things in this hobby bad things can happen. also as said before if you keep up on water changes you will be ok , if you cant afford it now wait and save your money to get a good skimmer. here is the saphire skimmer on nano customs Here

the saphire is sold through nano customs, it is about 100 dollars as well. the big thing about a skimmer is if you are going to run one get the best you can afford because if you go cheap on some things in this hobby bad things can happen. also as said before if you keep up on water changes you will be ok , if you cant afford it now wait and save your money to get a good skimmer. here is the saphire skimmer on nano customs Here

Thanks a lot, I'll probably go that route until I can afford the Sapphire skimmer, or come across a better solution.

Thanks a lot, I'll probably go that route until I can afford the Sapphire skimmer, or come across a better solution.

Im not sure saphire makes a skimmer for the BC14 but they do make one for the NC12 and the 24 as well as a few others. Also these skimmers arent hang on back skimmers these actually go in the rear chambers of the tanks they are made for and fit so you can close the hood. I thought about getting one for my tank but I went with the aqua-c remora and it hangs on my sump, and I can move it to a new tank if I want to upgrade the skimmer on my display or I decide to get a bigger tank.

Check into the Deltec MC300 (I think that's the model). It's a HOB Venturi skimmer. It's a little pricy compared to the others, but it does a killer job. Marine Depot has it.

Archived