Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Anenome consern

kato

hi i just recently got an Anenome. i placed it on my RL and it started moving around and stuff and now about 3 or 4 days later it went in one of the cracks and looks like it is stuck.. wat should i do i tryed to get it out but it seems to be to far in the LR, all i can see is about an inch ot 2 of its tenticles sticking out. ist their any wway to get it out with out hurting it??

Thats one of the main reasons anemones arent always good in reef tanks, they'll go where ever they want to go. Very difficult to get them to stay in one place. As zizmans asked, what kind anemone is it? How much lighting do you have on your tank?

Val

ok this is the anenone that i have

33932877.jpg

as u can see it is moving down

33932867.jpg

now this is an old pic. rite now i cant even see it, its so far down.

i also have coralife pc lights and the only other tank mate is a permint shrimp

It's a Condy, just let it go where it wants and don't move it around.

How many watts of lighting do you have?

Watch it closely if you have a heater or powerheads in the tank.

Change in lighting or water flow can also cause it to move.

Anenomes are not a "beginners" invert. I suggest some serious research. Make sure sg is at 1.025 and that temp. stays constant. I would suggest 80-82 degrees. What size tank is that? I'd be very careful adding other corals in that tank, that anenome gets really big. And is aggresive. It may also be a Long tentacle. If it is a condy it is highly doubtful you will get a clown to host in it, also they are known to eat clowns as well. If it is an LTA they like to place their foot in the sand, not the LR. Either way dood, I hope that tank has some size to it cause they get big. Also, i would not add any fish, it is just a matter of time before it gets them.

wow thnx for the heads up, i was told a compleatly different story from the guy at thr LFS.

as for the setup its in a 10g nano with a coralife PC light (28)watts. fluval 301 power head and aqua mini filter i only have the anenome and a pepermint shrimp. i realy wanted to go the way of a reef tank with corals and inverts, but i guess the anenme is not reef safe. (although i was told other wise) stupid ppl at LFS.

wow im shocked! i dont know what to do with my tank now...any sugestion??

should i remove the anenome? i basicaly wanted to keep a reef setup with maby one or 2 fish..help plz....

Is that 20 watts you said you have? If so you need alot more light. I would get atleast 64w. A 96 quad would fit well on the 10g.

I have a BTA anemone under 64w PC's in my 7g reef, not the best thing to have but I love it. Research your anemone well.

It is best to put them in first then put in other corals.

I have never had that type of anemone so I am not to sure on the whole eating your fish thing. I know carpet anemones eat small fish.

Anemones need alot of light since they are photosenthetic even though they do eat meat. But they need all that energy to beable to eat/poop and move if it has to.

They are very touchy critters, that is why most people don't keep them.

I would try feeding it every 2-3 days if you only have 20watts of light.

k, well im oficialy ####ed of at the LFS again coz i was told that the 28watt pc light would be good and that i didnt need to get the next step up which i think was 90 somthing watts so i told my self that. its ok its just a 10g i will save some $ and go with the 28 watt.

thnx for all the help

also this is a bit of topic but does any1 know how to get rid of air bubbles coming out from a aqua mini filter. this is realy buging me

Yeah sorry man 28w isn't going to cut it on a 10g IMO. You can still keep lower light corals but I don't think the anemone will live too long. If I where you I would return it.

You should look into the 96w quad retro, it's usually around $80- $100 or get another 28w. You will be happier with more light trust me. You will also beable to keep more light loveing corals and your anemone happy.

Are the bubbles comeing out of the filter it's self or from where the overflow hits the surface of the water?

I use Aqua-Tech carbon pads in my Aqua Clear HOB to catch any bubbles or detritus. The pads arn't made for the HOB I have but they work.

I place the pad in the path of the overflowing water, it also helps slow the water a little.

They make a few different sizes so if you try one you will probably need the smallest one they make.

Hope this helps.

Archived