SaltCritters.com

Suggestions on set-up of 29g, what I need

Dubitup

Hey all, been lingering in the backround and now I what to set-up my old 29g again. I guess a 29g is a bit big for a nano, but I 'm looking for suggestions as far as set-up.

kickyourbrainintheface

well, that depends on what aniamls you want to keep. you should first decide this, then build your tank around their needs.

most likely, you'll want a good skimmer and at least a four inch deep sand bed with live rock for starters.

Thanks for the reply.

I want to do a clam tank with some monitpora and maybe arco's. I've heard that acro's only do well in MH lighting, but I've done ok with VHO's - what do you guys think will be best for this particular set-up.

Will definitley use a skimmer, but more curious about not using a wet/dry filter, I've read a bunch on the plenum sand bed to take care of nitrates, lots of LR, but never talked with anyone who has tried this approach. Anybody here???

Thanks

gargoyleexotics
what do you guys think will be best for this particular set-up.

Definitely halides. We have a 36gallon bowfront sps/clam tank that has similar dimensions to a standard 29 (gains the additional volume from the bow but otherwise the same). We are running a 250 watt halide on it supplemented with 2x75 watt vho actinics.

Will definitley use a skimmer, but more curious about not using a wet/dry filter, I've read a bunch on the plenum sand bed to take care of nitrates, lots of LR, but never talked with anyone who has tried this approach

Skip the wet/dry and the plenum. Plenums are outdated IMO. You should be fine with plenty of live rock and a good skimmer.

Archived