Cultivated Reef

Quick question about circulation

jaxie

I currently have a 7g reef tank a couple of months along (just 1 mushroom and a few yellow polyps and inverts so far, going slow on it) but I want to switch out to a 10 to 15g tank with way better lights. I'm going to just get a plain tank and the 20" 1x96W quad lights from Coralife and put in a power head. No sump or fuge yet and I'll be using biofiltration with my LR and LS and water changes. I already have a heater.

I've read everything I could find but am not sure about the circulation.. I'll get a PH that does about 100 g/h. Will that be all I need for a 10 to 15g tank? What about oxygen? Probably a dumb question, but will the tank get enough oxygen just by water surface interaction with air? I don't need an air-stone or anything? I'm not planning on any fish, just corals for now.

I really appreciate any help, this has been driving me crazy for days since I can't find the answer anywhere. You guys are the best!

-jaxie

I'd get two PH's of at least 70gph which are adjustable. GPH is important, but so is the water flow, the position of LR itslef and how it affects the WF as well as what types of corals you want to maintain in the future.

Right now I have a MicroJet, plus an adjustable PH as well as a AC Mini which I vary from time to time. I haven't seen a nano with an airstone yet, but you can point one of the PH's towards the surface to bust the surface tension. The HOB Mini serves this purpose and can be virtually shut down when needed.

Hi,

I also struggled to find out when I setup my tank 2 weeks ago. In the information section on this site, one of the articles had it. Took me AGES to find it.

Basically, you want to shoot for 7 to 10 times per hour turnover rate. I also asked a while ago about enough oxygen. I ended up buying myself a little powerhead, and have placed it just below the surface, so it creates nice ripples on surface.

Hope this helps.

I have a 10g with the 96W coralife also, I have a Rio 50 and an Aquaclear 200 on mine, turned all the way down. I am in process of removing the RIO and having a refugium with a Maxijet 600 that is in the fuge, not the tank. I like the aquaclear HOBs but I might take it off and put the RIO back in if I don't like the circulation.

Archived