Cultivated Reef

B-Ionic + Kalk and water changes

Reggie

I hope no one shoots me down with this newbie question. I am planning to setup a SPS 30G tank with a 10g refugium. From what I have gathered, I can use B-Ionic to increase Calcium levels and then drip Kalk via a top-off to maintain it. If the levels are maintained well, do I still need to do 5-10% water changes weekly? Will monthly 10% water change suffice?

Thanks in advance.

In a small tank, kalk reactors are often not necessary. If you are going to be dosing with a two part solution, the kalk will most likely over dose the tank.

I dose every other day, and do a water change every week to two weeks. With SPS calc will depleate pretty quickly, but small dosing is easy.

Water changes are more than adding back calcium. They remove wastes, manage nitrates, and add trace elements not found in a two part solution or kalk reactor.

I would recommend a 10% weekly water change for tanks 6 months and younger. After that you can move to every other week if your testing checks out.

In a small tank, kalk reactors are often not necessary. If you are going to be dosing with a two part solution, the kalk will most likely over dose the tank.

I dose every other day, and do a water change every week to two weeks. With SPS calc will depleate pretty quickly, but small dosing is easy.

Water changes are more than adding back calcium. They remove wastes, manage nitrates, and add trace elements not found in a two part solution or kalk reactor.

I would recommend a 10% weekly water change for tanks 6 months and younger. After that you can move to every other week if your testing checks out.

+1

Archived