ReefCleaners.org

Hippo Tang(DORY)

jjohnson3

Stock the tank you HAVE, not the one you might have someday. A hippo tang should outgrow that size tank in a matter of months but won't because you will be stunting it. I love all the people amazed at the growth spurt when they finally put their fish into a tank suited for it. Besides tangs are sensitve fish, not one to go in a brand new setup, your better bet would be wait until your larger tank is up and running for a few months and use your small tank as a qt. That's about the only way I would put a fish that gets a foot long into a 30 gallon tank. Just because someone else has done it doesn't make it a good idea. Think about the fish's health instead of you. Unless of course you like watching fish pace back and forth.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
clownfish1124

no offense, but i think everyone, except for the noobs know what a hippo tang is.

second, it would work for a year if you get a tiny (1/2"-1/5") tang like they sell on liveaquaria. i for one wouldn't do it, but if you must then this would work for ONE YEAR! i hope your not lying to us because then when it outgrows the tank it'll knock over all of your corals and give all of your fish ich.

Also I've had a 135 bought and on the stand for almost a year now waiting to get set up and I can't afford it. Who's to say the same won't happen to you? Or that your apartment is going to allow a 180 anywhere?

Why?

Why?

WHY not just wait until you have the larger tank? The fish doesnt have a sufficient amount of room in that tank (or will not as he grows). You know that or you wouldn't be here seeking advice. Why are you hell bent on getting one right at this moment? It's not like your LFS has the last hippo tang in existence or anything.

Sure other people have done it. Other people have successfully drinken cyanide kool aid too but that doesnt mean I am gonna.

Seriously do the fish a favor, be humane and just hold off till you have the larger tank.

If you lack the patiance to do this, you may be in the wrong hobby.

Why?

Why?

WHY not just wait until you have the larger tank? The fish doesnt have a sufficient amount of room in that tank (or will not as he grows). You know that or you wouldn't be here seeking advice. Why are you hell bent on getting one right at this moment? It's not like your LFS has the last hippo tang in existence or anything.

Sure other people have done it. Other people have successfully drinken cyanide kool aid too but that doesnt mean I am gonna.

Seriously do the fish a favor, be humane and just hold off till you have the larger tank.

If you lack the patiance to do this, you may be in the wrong hobby.

Don't test my patience either, please. My LFS has had this Hippo Tang for about 6 months and no one wants it. It was tiny when they got it. prolly only 1/2 inch. Its in a 20 gallon long. My tank is 36x12x20.

Also I've had a 135 bought and on the stand for almost a year now waiting to get set up and I can't afford it. Who's to say the same won't happen to you? Or that your apartment is going to allow a 180 anywhere?

I h a v e t h e m o n e y i n a s a f e ! ! !

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just because you saw someone do it before doesn't mean it's the right thing to do or that you can do it. Tangs need at least a 4ft long tank due to their swimming habits, they're agressive, eat a sh!t load, and get huge. Not a good fish for a nano!!!!!!! I hate seeing tangs in a tank smaller than 100gal, my dad agrees totally, even in his 75 he won't get one due to swimming room. Plus you said you have 50+lbs of rock, there is no way there is enough room for that thing to swim no matter how small it is. Also if you get one of those baby quarter size hippos, it's gonna die and they shouldn't even be collecting them cause 9 out of 10 times they are D.O.A.! I say wait til' you set the f&%#ing thank up wait for it to mature then get the damn fish. It's gonna get ICH for sure in a small a$$ tank like yours, no room to swim+stress=ICH=DEAD TANG! Tangs are very fragile fish when it comes to disease, they get ich waaayyyy to easily and copper treatmeant will just make it worse from stress, then it spreads and killz all ur other fish. DO IT IF YOU WANT TO NOOB, SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!! Ur gonna get ur a$$ flamed and the tang police are gonna come, I already hear sirens!

BTW:UncleLuke, nice sig, snook fishing the lights is almost as addictive as reefing! B)

Edit: spelling

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just because you saw someone do it before doesn't mean it's the right thing to do or that you can do it. Tangs need at least a 4ft long tank due to their swimming habits, they're agressive, eat a sh!t load, and get huge. Not a good fish for a nano!!!!!!! I hate seeing tangs in a tank smaller than 100gal, my dad agrees totally, even in his 75 he won't get one due to swimming room. Plus you said you have 50+lbs of rock, there is no way there is enough room for that thing to swim no matter how small it is. Also if you get one of those baby quarter size hippos, it's gonna die and they shouldn't even be collecting them cause 9 out of 10 times they are D.O.A.! I say wait til' you set the f&%#ing thank up wait for it to mature then get the damn fish. It's gonna get ICH for sure in a small a$$ tank like yours, no room to swim+stress=ICH=DEAD TANG! Tangs are very fragile fish when it comes to disease, they get ich waaayyyy to easily and copper treatmeant will just make it worse from stress, then it spreads and killz all ur other fish. DO IT IF YOU WANT TO NOOB, SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!! Ur gonna get ur a$$ flamed and the tang police are gonna come, I already hear sirens!

BTW:Uncle LUke, nice sig, snook fishing the lights is almost as addictive as reefing! B)

Edit: spelling

Little harsh for a 9th grader! Lol :P

These fish are consistently available in the hobby, no matter where you are.

If you don't wait until you have the 180, you're just being an idiot. Why ask the question?

These fish are consistently available in the hobby, no matter where you are.

If you don't wait until you have the 180, you're just being an idiot. Why ask the question?

Hey BK, who is that in you avatar? I laugh everythime I see tha pic...

i have no idea who that is, lol

Who ever it is (it's not you is it?), that's a awesome pic!!!

EDIT: Your a year younger then me, I guess it's not you!

All the tang police do is try to be jerks. BTW, I decided not to. I think once my 180 starts cycling I will add the hippo. Two months aint gonna kill it for Gods sake. I might just add a school of 6 chromis and a few other fish. I have one more question though. How come every time the word tang pops up on this website people go nuts and post on it like crazy?

Little harsh for a 9th grader! Lol :P

Yeah, I hate seeing big fish in small tanks. If he'd just listen and say ok then i won't get the tang, i wouldn't have gon off on him. I just can't stand idiots who put tangs in nanos, pisses me off to no end. I have one LFS that does this, they even told a guy a small hippo was ok in a NC24. Luckily now they stopped being dumba$$es, they even had a 26gal bowfront with a foxface and YT in it! Tore the tank down, only reason I even went there was they have AMAZING corals for dirt cheap, i just love S.Florida, ORA stuff is $20-$30 cheaper than everywhere else.

Now JJohnson, sorry for being so harsh but comeon, tangs and nanos don't mix!

All the tang police do is try to be jerks. BTW, I decided not to. I think once my 180 starts cycling I will add the hippo. Two months aint gonna kill it for Gods sake. I might just add a school of 6 chromis and a few other fish. I have one more question though. How come every time the word tang pops up on this website people go nuts and post on it like crazy?

You better wait till AFTER the tank cycles to add the tank!

Idk about the 'tang word" question but most people who go nuts about it never even had a tang! But yeah waiting is better!!!

Why do you think there is a thing called the Tang Police? And why do you think they are more popular and populated on this site?

Could it be that a Tang is not for a small tank, and this website is make up of owners of nano sized aquariums? Why isn't there a Live rock police or goby police?

You have been given many reason why not to, with the only reason going for it is that this is a free country. Your LFS is always going to have a Hippo, every LFS has Hippos. You post that you are going to put a Tang is a small tank, you need to be ready for the honest and accurate feedback.

A bad move would be to put the tang in that tank. The only reason you want the tang in there is becuase it looks cool. It is a very selfish purchase, nothing about it looks out for the fish.

I imagine that you still are going to purchase the tang and add it to your tank. If you do and add a picture to this site, I can post this, which will be fun and giggles will be had by all.

TangPolice.jpg

+2

Somehow, I think adding the "(dory)" in the thread title screams of irresponsibility.

Yeah. Anyone who know anything about marine fish know what a Hippo Tang is. People don't have to use names from a cartoon to get points across.

Oh lakshwadeep! Have you seen my Nemos?

Archived