SaltCritters.com

Test Kit Off?

chickendude10

chickendude10

I've been having no coral growth for the past five months in my tank (except for about 1/4" of GSP) and I thought it might have to do with high calcium. According to my API test I'm running over 520 for calcium. Today I tested my calcium and alk with these results:

Cal 520+

Alk 10

I then took a sample to my LFS and according to their Salifert tests my results are:

Cal 400

Alk 8

Mag 1410

Whose kits should I trust? I'm confident that I am doing the API tests correctly and the man owning the LFS is very knowledgable. Does API have bad kits once in a while?

And if the LFS is right, are there other factors that might be slowing my coral growth?

I've been having no coral growth for the past five months in my tank (except for about 1/4" of GSP) and I thought it might have to do with high calcium. According to my API test I'm running over 520 for calcium. Today I tested my calcium and alk with these results:

Cal 520+

Alk 10

I then took a sample to my LFS and according to their Salifert tests my results are:

Cal 400

Alk 8

Mag 1410

Whose kits should I trust? I'm confident that I am doing the API tests correctly and the man owning the LFS is very knowledgable. Does API have bad kits once in a while?

And if the LFS is right, are there other factors that might be slowing my coral growth?

The API kits are good, but I've heard they can have a short shelf life. I MIGHT have to go with the Salifert results.

Also... What kind of corals are you keeping that aren't growing? I can't speak for soft corals, but Ca will not stunt the growth of hard corals with those levels. Usually, growth in hard corals is inhibited by Phosphate as it prehibits calcification. Do you have any algae issues?

chickendude10

Slow growth in both soft coral and LPS. I have had algae problems in the past. Maybe not a long enough time between the problems for the coral to take off?

My one hard coral in my tank is actaully thriving (though it is a monticap which isn't very sensitive) with good polyp extension but not fast growth. I'm just stumped because from what I've read, xenia and GSP should grow like weeds and zoas should grow fast too.

Archived