inTank Media Baskets

Halides over JBJ Pico?

billy_bob76148

billy_bob76148

Is anyone using halides over thier pico tanks? I am wanting to keep a maxima clam and some acros in mine so i need to find a solution. I have to keep it clean so my wife dosent get mad. I was thinking a viper 70 watt. Tell me yalls experiences and suggestions please.

Is anyone using halides over thier pico tanks? I am wanting to keep a maxima clam and some acros in mine so i need to find a solution. I have to keep it clean so my wife dosent get mad. I was thinking a viper 70 watt. Tell me yalls experiences and suggestions please.

Viper 70 is probably your best bet. However if you are going to run a HOB filter then you might have a problem with mounting one or the other unless you hang something from the side or clamp the light to the filter. The AC70 takes nearly all of the back up once installed.

Steve

billy_bob76148

dang I didn't think about that. I do have a ac70 hanging on it. Hmm...what to do... Does anyone know of a sit on top halide with legs that will work on such a small tank? I can't seem to find one short enough. Do you think I could hang the viper off of the back of the ac70 with the pico light?

dang I didn't think about that. I do have a ac70 hanging on it. Hmm...what to do... Does anyone know of a sit on top halide with legs that will work on such a small tank? I can't seem to find one short enough. Do you think I could hang the viper off of the back of the ac70 with the pico light?

Yea I think it would work. Just cut the top of the ac70 lid and hang it. I just looked and the plastic looks strong enough. Just don't hit it or you could crack that plastic. You could is the peice you cut off from the top to double up the thickness of the ac70 back wall with some silicone, then hang it and it would be much stronger.

Steve

your also gonna have a massive heat issue

as well as evaporation

+1 on the evap. Heat won't be too much of a problem with the top open but the evap will kill you. Make sure you build a DIY Battery Powered ATO. Will cost like 20-30. I have one on mine hooked to a 1 gallon jug and it runs exactly one week. I think you will get maybe 3 days of water out of it depending on your humidity and temps. Clip on fans work really well also to blow the humid air out of the way so the tank can evap better. Just make sure you have a ATO. I wouldn't run that tank without an ATO anyway as the thing drinks water fast. Honestly, a clam in that size tank is asking for trouble.

Steve

billy_bob76148

thanks for the replys guys. Adding a fan is no problem at all. I am still not sure about the clam but I do want to have acros in my tanks. As far as evap. i will be making some kind of ATo to help with that. Has anyone seen a viper mounted on a pico? What is the light coverage like? I have been considering LED but dont have the cash to fund it :)

Do a search I know I've seen at least two picotopes on NR with the viper on them. They looked real nice. I've got a Monti Digi growing under a 36w Dual Satellite in my picotope and it is growing very well. It is a run of the mill brown type but it is very happy under it. I think with the acros you will want the MH.

Steve

almost forgot light coverage should be fine. viper should cover 20x20 and pico is smaller.

Steve

billy_bob76148

I will do a search for that. I have kept many monti cap and digitata in my old 55 gallon with pc's and had color and everything. But many acros turn brown. They did color back up nicely with halides over it though. I want some millis, and stags and such in my pico.

hey, i am builing my own 70 watt halide fixture. I am going to be DIY'ing it. Check out my thread here about my build. I am going to be putting up pictures shortly of all my building progress. The halide I will use is going to be in a DIY canopy. Ill get a scketch of the plans up shortly for you as well. It iwll save you a bunch of money in the long run if you DIY it.

There are a few DIY 50w mh created for picos. You should check into that, i'm sure it's more than enough lighting and it will decreate the heat + evaporation just a little.

Or go for LED.

There are a few DIY 50w mh created for picos. You should check into that, i'm sure it's more than enough lighting and it will decreate the heat + evaporation just a little.

Or go for LED.

50 watts are nice, but the 70's can be used as well. i am using a 70 watt DIY halide and 2x9 watt pc actinics over my tank. it will be fine. For covering the heat, I'm going to have 2 fans in the canopy.

go for it with the Diy 70 watt viper for your pico. The viper do wonders for my tank, check out my page but I will go more detail on how I build it step by step. Good luck and no worries

Im planning on doing this for my JBJ, my viper comes tomorrow so i will be putting up a thread soon on how it works out. I was planning on a basic grav ATO combined with the custom lids that Bonsai has been getting made at his local glass shop.

billy_bob76148
Im planning on doing this for my JBJ, my viper comes tomorrow so i will be putting up a thread soon on how it works out. I was planning on a basic grav ATO combined with the custom lids that Bonsai has been getting made at his local glass shop.

Do you think the glass lid would be a good idea with the halide over it? I kinda wonder if it would have the affect that a magnifying glass did when you cooked ants as a kid:) Also wouldnt that trap in alot of the heat? I like the idea but dont know how that would work out. I will keep an eye on what you come up with. Which viper light did you get? Can you post pics once you get it on your tank so I can see how well it fits over it? I would like to try ordering which ever light I choose by this weekend.

the glass does not concave so it wont be really concentrating that beam of light. I would assume more heat? like sitting in your car with the windows up on a hot day.

But it's not really direct sun heat, so my example would probably fail.

from the reviews i read, the viper doesn't actually give off too much heat. I got the 70W but unfortunately wont be able to set it up untill sometime next week. I have to go see my brother graduate from college. I was worried about the heat, but im planning on keeping a fan running on it pretty much 24/7 anyway. My dorm room tends to get really hot as it is. I'll post back when i set it all up and i will let you know how its going.

EDIT: Bonsai is still taking orders for the next round of tops if you were interested.

billy_bob76148

Ok one more question. Which light do yall think would make the corals more colorful? The 14k halides or the current usa dual PC fixture? I am ordering my light tomorrow and just want to make sure I am choosing the right path.

you'll get a different answer from each person you ask. I personally think Halides are so much better then PC in so many ways. The only downside is you dont have the same customizing options with halides. You can swap bulbs in and out in PC or T5 fixtures to suit your person tastes for relatively cheap. I prefer Halides because they are just so much more intense and last 4 times as long. I would recommend the halide and if not look into a T5 fixture, they may be a bit more money, but its worth it in the long run. Lighting is something you never really want to skimp on. HTH.

Archived