SaltCritters.com

Please identify this hitchhiker coral

beermu

I just started a 10 gallon nano. Right now I just have my sand and live rock in. So I have nothing to do so far but stare at my LR ;) Just wondering if anybody can identify this hitchhiker coral (I think it's a coral). I'm talking about the white, branchy looking thing. I have several and they're fairly small (<0.5 inches). They don't sway in the current, could it be an SPS?

Thanks!

Hey Jugger- How big is yours? This stuff seems to grow fairly fast. I didn't notice this stuff when I put the LR in a week ago. So I assume it's grows about 1/2 inch per week.

Someone from the chat told me that it's a primitive type of coral. I have a ton of it in my tank. It grows -very- fast, and doesn't seem to bother anything else. Though, I could see it becoming a pest if it keeps up this growth-rate.

Mine's formed with hollow tubes, very delicate and -very- pretty as it gets bigger.

-Sumbel.

mine also grows fast...and some of it has a thick base that is an awsome pink color....well if its harmless then im happy.... i noticed it starting to grow after i figured out i need to add calcium

Looks like Foraminiferans! Not corals, but still cool to look at. Yours seem unusually large. They must be heathly. They're actually sort of a shelled protozoan if I remember corectly. If you see small red prickly things on your LR they're related to those.

i have those..branching things...almost translucent..

but i heard there are varieties of them...

someone in RC identified mine as hydroids...

i had pics, can't find em now though

The white branchy things pictured above belong to the genus Hydrozoa which is the least complex of the Cnidarians, you could say a primitive type of coral. The small reddish spiky lookin things are forminaferrans which are Protists and are actually Ameoboid cells that secrete the red colored casing.

Archived