Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cleaner Shrimp Question

treygarz

Ok I have a silly question, its my first shrimp so bear with me!

Cleaner molted for the first time, which i assume means he is doing well in the tank. Should I take his former body out or leave it for the hermits to feast on?

take it out.

they wont eat all of it, it'll cause nitrates and otherwise bad stuff, and itll float around an bug ur corals...IME.

my cleaner molts once a frekin week! keep good iodine levels to promote healthy molts.happy reefing!

all the research ive done on molts (at wet web media) states it wont cause nutrient problems, and will also add some type of supplement in the water thats very healthy for inverts as it decomposes. To me it doesnt seem how that would work since any decaying organics should contribute to the nitrogen cycle, but I guess ill read up more about it.

here

reefman225gal

The book Reef Invertebrates by Calfo & Fenner says It's recommended that you leave the shed, nutritious molts of shrimp in the aquarium for them and other creatures to consume.

take it out.

they wont eat all of it, it'll cause nitrates and otherwise bad stuff, and itll float around an bug ur corals...IME.

my cleaner molts once a frekin week! keep good iodine levels to promote healthy molts.happy reefing!

Stop dosing, if he molts once a weak you have too much iodine in the system. Because they molt that often to get rid of excess iodine.

Do you even measure iodine or do you just dose?

reefman225gal

Healthy cleaner shrimp usually molt on a monthly basis. Iodine is necessary for for molting, many foods are rich in iodine, small feedings of krill and the like will help in molting.

Archived