Top Shelf Aquatics

Surface agitation

jasontatro

Greetings all.

I have a question regarding the surface agitation in my tank. With my HOB and power head I am getting about 300+ GPH circulation in my 10g. My concern is that I am not getting enough surface agitation, because there is a constant "film" of dust and crud on top of the water.

Should I be concerned about this "crud"? Also, if I am not agitating the surface enough, is the water getting oxygenated enough?

Thanks for the wisdom.

Jason

Jason:

You may want to consider getting a surface skimmer attachment for you HOB filter. If it is an AquaClear, Hagen makes one specifically for it. And I'm sure you could modify them for almost any HOB filter made. I use one, and it works great - no surface film at all.

Here is a picture of one, although this is for a Fluval canister filter.

a240.jpg

Hey Jason,

I would point a powerhead towards the surface of the water to break up the film. I had a pH problem directly related to carbon dioxide exchange in the tank and the powerhead solved that problem. HTH,

Joon

I agree with Joon,

I had a film issue with my take.....(equip=AQ150 and Microjet pointed at the front panel)....I retro'd the PH with an adjustable elbow and point it up toward the surface..........*PRESTO* no more film!!!! I don't skim.....

HTH

Archived