inTank Media Baskets

shortened light cycle vs. growth thread?

er1c_the_reefer

er1c_the_reefer

i remember a thread a while back about how shortened light cycles with some period of rest in between encouraged faster growth. (e.g. lights on 4hrs, off 8hrs, etc.) i can't seem to find the thread in search though, someone help me out please. thanks.

or just discuss here. whatevers.

I remember the thread this was brought up about a week ago.

I'm also interested. Also as to acclimation from a regular 10hr lighting schedule.

Dosing at all? :wacko: I'll be following.

er1c_the_reefer

yea now i can't find the thread. i think i'll just stick with the 8 hour light cycle for now.

i think the theory goes something like how zoox reach max photosynthetic production around 5-6 hours, then you give them 7-8 hours off and rinse and repeat so that you get more growth. dunno if it works.

off topic question, but what season does most coral growth happen?

There is very little change of season in the tropics. Tropic of Cancer, maybe 1.5 hours shorter in winter. Closer to the equator, less difference. Some places with currents flowing from North (or from the South in southern hemi) might be slightly cooler in the winter.

Here's a graph that might give an idea of temps, which I'd correlate to coral growth, but that might not be right either.

I don't understand how you can set up general rules if it seems to depend on various factors.

1.)

Some corals are almost entirely photosynthetic while others can use or need additional feeding what can compensate for a loss of light over some time or forvever.

2.)

How strong is the light at all? How much reaches the corals effectively?

What's almost sure is that most places in the world have cloudy days, too. Tonga has obviously more than Fiji, but it doesn't seem to make any difference for the hobbyist. No one came up with different tables for the light period, so far.

I got now very short days and sometimes a week long without any sunshine for my Tree corals on the window sill without any artificial light. The Tree corals (probably Kenya Tree corals) aren't affected at all, but a more delicate or more light hungry corals maybe would?

i have been trying this for the past few weeks now, all the corals are fine. Im on for 4 off for 4 then on for 4, and finally off for 12. I did notice a lot less algae on the glass and more coraline algae. So far no incredible growth from the corals.

i remember reading in Calfo's book something like this. they had the lights on for x hours and off for x hours. and basically doubled the light cycle and there was increased reproduction. i'll try to look for that section later today.

Ok, here's the light cycle Calfo talked about,

"In some cases, animals have responded to accelerated breeding programs that produce spawns two or more times annually in only (naturally) annually reproductive species. This has been accomplished by maintaining livestock on "double-time." Photoperiods are run on a 24-hour schedule with two 6-hour daylight periods and two 6-hour nocturnal periods. Simulated moonlight is maintained concurrently and may also play a significant role. Species of fish and perhaps some coral that were previously challenging soon will become viable for farming with manipulation of such parameters." Calfo "Book of Coral Propagation" 2nd Edition pg. 108

"...and perhaps some coral that were previously challenging soon will become viable for farming with manipulation of such parameters."

I think that means growth since it talks about farming them. And from the "double-time" cycle it might be rapid growth/reproduction, since it is making it viable for farming. But I might be wrong in the way I read it, so I guess we will have to wait and see when someone tries it.

EDIT - Of course while I think of it I believe Calfo grows coral using sunlight, so he may have tried this method and found it doesn't work or it's not enough to be worth the hassle.

Sometimes his writing is hard to follow since whoever edited his book needs help. My favorite mistake is "pubic water", hmm....

Archived