Cultivated Reef

broken tunze skimmer

flipmodetank

I have a 14g BC that's been running well over a year with no skimmer and is very healthy. I do however keep up on 25% weekly water changes, have a 4 gallon fuge filled with macro, and a low bioload. I may never put a skimmer on it, I see no reason to yet. I do run a Tunze 9002 on my 29g and love it. I run it on a 4 day on 3 day off cycle because my bioload is fairly light. I don't think a skimmer is an absolute necessity but more a convenience and at very least a cushion if your slack on water changes or have a high bioload. Now, if I was keeping an sps dominated tank.....I wouldn't go without one.

burtbollinger

everything I said is truth...and 99% of my posts are helpful, constructive and informative....or I simply dont post.

THINK before you post, and you should reconsider ingnoring this website because of one bad apple like me. That would be quite immature and foolish.

Please reread your nonsensical posts, and read them from an outsiders view, with the understanding that with the knowledge you have demonstrated, you are in no way ready to add meaningful dialog to this or any other conversation on reefing...not yet anyway. Do you really think you can tell us all that skimmers are required or not? No, you can't. You? You need to stick with QUESTIONS.

Tell me, Is this, or is this not your tank? the uncycled, crush coral filled, undergravel filtered tank with the now dead clownfish?

My_first_salt.JPG

THIS site can and will teach you a lot...but a nice first lesson from is don't give advice or toss around your opinions when they are unjustified, incorrect or you cannot back them up with evidence or experience. When in doubt on a topic, simply don't post. This isnt a forum on knitting, baking cookies, or hooking up stereo speakers....this is a forum about beautiful living creatures, creatures which we have a responsibility to keep alive and happy.

If I wanted to get mean about you, I could...but that would be inappropriate and small-minded....as it is I'm just stating facts.

everything I said is truth...and 99% of my posts are helpful, constructive and informative....or I simply dont post.

THINK before you post, and you should reconsider ingnoring this website because of one bad apple like me. That would be quite immature and foolish.

Please reread your nonsensical posts, and read them from an outsiders view, with the understanding that with the knowledge you have demonstrated, you are in no way ready to add meaningful dialog to this or any other conversation on reefing...not yet anyway. Do you really think you can tell us all that skimmers are required or not? No, you can't. You? You need to stick with QUESTIONS.

Tell me, Is this, or is this not your tank? the uncycled, crush coral filled, undergravel filtered tank with the now dead clownfish?

My_first_salt.JPG

THIS site can and will teach you a lot...but a nice first lesson from is don't give advice or toss around your opinions when they are unjustified, incorrect or you cannot back them up with evidence or experience. When in doubt on a topic, simply don't post. This isnt a forum on knitting, baking cookies, or hooking up stereo speakers....this is a forum about beautiful living creatures, creatures which we have a responsibility to keep alive and happy.

If I wanted to get mean about you, I could...but that would be inappropriate and small-minded....as it is I'm just stating facts.

Yes that is my tank. How do you know that it was not cycle if you say you know so much? This tank has been cycle for over three month and the fish that you see there have been on that tank for over 2 months. Because I don't have LR does not means that the tank is not ready to house fish. This tank was setup for fish only and if you know how to setup a tank and feed properly your fish you can use an UF. For your knowledge you can not use LS with a UF because it will compact and will not allow to circulate the water through it. Not every body have to think like you and is been proven in this site, many no skimmer setup that prove you wrong all of the way, perfectly healthy fish with an UF and CC, I have even seen pictures of nano cubes with no LS, no skimmer, no filter, no fish but only LR and corals that have been running for over a year that prove that you are not correct on all that you think.

The problem here is not that I don't want to see or learn from other, if I did not wanted to learn from other I will not spend hours online researching or asking questions. The problem here is that you are a close minded person that think that you are the only one that is wright because you have been doing this for a long time. Well guess what you are wrong and I am going to prove you wrong. I am keep running my tank the way I have it, no actually I am going to use the very same dead rocks on my 29 gls tank with play sand from Home Depot and a home made sump which I am going to add spoges instead of bio-balls with no skimmer. I will post pictures as I go so you can critic on them if you like.

By the way I have not seen a picture of that you have posted from your tank that have impress me, the only one that I have see that I was impress was the one of the mess that you have in your house, with all the junk that you have writen I was specting someone better organized and clean.

Now this I am impress with http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=41095 http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=41192 http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=41193 http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=41195 http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=41194 http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=41089

Now that is impressive and guess what they all have in common, they all come from 2 different skimmerless tanks. Right there you just have been proved wrong and when you can post a picture that can impress other than the mess that you have in your house then we can talk. By the way it is very dangerous to have gasoline containers indoor so for the health of the fish get them out and clean your house before you take pictures to post on this site.

burtbollinger

The above that you have written is nonsensical, random garbage...WTF are you even talking about? YOU. DON'T. MAKE. SENSE. AT. ALL.

My tanks are here

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=153954

...believe me, they are nice...not the best, not the worst....but in person, they are clean, goregeous, and damn healthy...and gas tanks? They held water for a time...not gas. Nice attempt...they were non leaching plastic containers....colored red.

All that aside, lets not forget my point here: You are on a skimmer thread telling someone definetively that a skimmer is not needed based on a picture you saw on a website.

You have no experience to back up anything you say, and your tank is not set up in a way that is conducive to success. Anyone who looks at your setup will point out major flaws in your noob thinking...Lash out if you want, but that is truth....or as close to truth as is possible.

As I stated accurately above, there's no one right way to do things....skimmerless tanks exist and thrive...provided you are doing things the right way.

You, sir, are not doing things the right way.

You sir, have not a clue about what you are speaking about.

Your retorts read poorly, are innacurate and are frankly embarassing. Trust me, a verbal or written tit for tat with me is something you will never, ever win and I have no desire to continue arguing with you anymore. Please ignore me or block communcations from me....Bottom line, you are a noob who has no clue of anything and I feel sorrow for all the livestock you will kill in the near future.

Enjoy your skimmerless, crushed-coral undergravel 10g with no live rock and a sponge-filled sump....please prove me wrong. I doubt you will, and I feel horror and sorrow for the livestock you are going to kill in the process.

Again, read everything I have posted above...I stand by everything I've said...you, well, I'd frankly be embarassed and be looking for the "delete post" button.

good luck....and please....don't respond, youre just wasting your time. Do us all a favor, and instead post some meaningful questions on the things you are doing wrong.

and yeah, your tank looks pretty uncycled to me....no live rock, totally clean crushed coral, no CUC, dying clownfish....its pathetic...its pathetic cause the knowledge is right here....yet you choose to ignore it, and instead pretend to be an expert on threads which you have no business posting on.

The above that you have written is nonsensical, random garbage...WTF are you even talking about? YOU. DON'T. MAKE. SENSE. AT. ALL.

My tanks are here

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=153954

...believe me, they are nice...not the best, not the worst....but in person, they are clean, goregeous, and damn healthy...and gas tanks? They held water for a time...not gas. Nice attempt...they were non leaching plastic containers....colored red.

All that aside, lets not forget my point here: You are on a skimmer thread telling someone definetively that a skimmer is not needed based on a picture you saw on a website.

You have no experience to back up anything you say, and your tank is not set up in a way that is conducive to success. Anyone who looks at your setup will point out major flaws in your noob thinking...Lash out if you want, but that is truth....or as close to truth as is possible.

As I stated accurately above, there's no one right way to do things....skimmerless tanks exist and thrive...provided you are doing things the right way.

You, sir, are not doing things the right way.

You sir, have not a clue about what you are speaking about.

Your retorts read poorly, are innacurate and are frankly embarassing. Trust me, a verbal or written tit for tat with me is something you will never, ever win and I have no desire to continue arguing with you anymore. Please ignore me or block communcations from me....Bottom line, you are a noob who has no clue of anything and I feel sorrow for all the livestock you will kill in the near future.

Enjoy your skimmerless, crushed-coral undergravel 10g with no live rock and a sponge-filled sump....please prove me wrong. I doubt you will, and I feel horror and sorrow for the livestock you are going to kill in the process.

Again, read everything I have posted above...I stand by everything I've said...you, well, I'd frankly be embarassed and be looking for the "delete post" button.

good luck....and please....don't respond, youre just wasting your time. Do us all a favor, and instead post some meaningful questions on the things you are doing wrong.

and yeah, your tank looks pretty uncycled to me....no live rock, totally clean crushed coral, no CUC, dying clownfish....its pathetic...its pathetic cause the knowledge is right here....yet you choose to ignore it, and instead pretend to be an expert on threads which you have no business posting on.

burtbollinger,

My suggestion is that you not waste any time or effort on discussing whether a skimmer is needed or not...we have had a reef shop since 1989 and since then have seen may , many different reef tanks and designed many, many reef tanks so we know the effects of poor skimmers let alone no skimmers on tanks.

That is the reason why we decided to just make the best skimmers possible so that the hobbyists would be more successful and there by promote the hobby. We have also tried in the past to share our extensive experiences on different forums only to be critiqued by individuals with (relative to us) very little experience.

We no longer find it worth our time to get into verbal fights with people that do not understand the Nitrogen cycle...there are better things to spend our time on.

Have a Merry Christmas!

nanoskim

I've run a skimmerless 20 gallon for as long as it says in my signature. I find colours on SPS and my softies are very good.

Kalamata: Ignore burt. He's just looking to assert his 'dominance'.

Burt: Ignore Kalamata. He's not doing things as everyone else does. So what? FW tanks use the same method to cycle their tanks. They don't need LR as the denitrifying bacteria finds its way into the tank anyways. Don't jump him because you don't agree with his opinion on skimmers. He's run his aquarium without one and so have I.

Many tanks on this site are successful (and unsuccessful) with and without skimmers. Both methods work. I have a skimmer on a 75+30 and I like it, but my softies don't grow as fast.

Archived