Pod Your Reef

75 Gallon Reef Tank

WhiteShark

Yeah I only feed mysis for right now. I saw his whisker sticking out of a cave that my goby uses for hiding last night so I guess they're both sharing that cave for the time being.

i ment if u get a wrasse lol, brine isnt enough protein to sustain a fish long term

u dont really have to feed the shrimp when mines hungry it jumps out and eats, my skunk hides lots tho

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oooohhh...okay..Yeah I think I'm picking up the wrasse on Friday when I get payed. I've tried feeding flakes before and the fish didn't seem impressed so I learned to stick to mysis.

Okay so I'm still about 2 weeks away from getting any coral but I'm thinking I'm going to go with either a Leather, a frogspawn or a zoo. I'm leaning towards a leather or a frogspawn though. I've marked off in the tank where I think I'm going to be putting it and I just wanted some input.

It's kinda hard to tell in the picture but the blue circles are where I'm planning on putting SPS, and Clams and the red circles are where I'm planning on putting, LPS, zoo's, leathers, frogspawn and GSP. Any thoughts?

CoralLocations.jpg

Okay so I have a new addition to the tank. I got myself a yellow coris wrasse today:

IMG_0424.jpg

He seemed to take well to the tank at first, actually eating some mysis shrimp I was feeding to the other inhabitants 15 min after I put him in. As usual my goby was terrified by the new addition and spent 2 hours hiding from him. My clown seemed annoyed that he was now not the only fish to swim around the tank. The clown didn't bother him to much but I did see him get chased a few times. I got a little nervous when I saw the wrasse scrape himself on a rock but he only did it 2 times and I don't see any white spots on his body so I'm hoping I'm okay (this guy has been at my LFS for at least a week so I'm hoping everything is okay with him). After about 2 hours of poking around he decided enough was enough and buried himself in my sand bed (hopefully nothing in there will hurt him). Overall he seems pretty friendly.

I plan on doing a 15 gallon water change next week and then the following week I will be adding my first coral. I'm thinking a colt coral but I'm not 100% decided on that yet. Any thoughts anyone? I value you guys input.

Okay so my cleaner shrimp finally started to come out and play. He's been running all over the tank as of a few days ago. He actually attacked (I think) my giant turbo snail. However, none of the fish are letting him clean them (that I know of). I kinda wish the wrasse would stop by and get cleaned b/c I think he may have a minor parasite infection. I see him scratching himself on the rocks now and again (usually after some weird spasm like he has an itch he can't scratch or something). I'm thinking I'm going to pick up a neon goby in order to assist with cleaning. I've also started dosing the food with garlic.

I'm also thinking I'll pick up some corals this Friday. Kinda torn between a ricorda mushroom and maybe some frags. Or just getting a colt or something along those lines. What do you guys think?

Also, I FINALLY got some moonlights to put on my tank. I attached them to the legs of the light with some Velcro and it seems to work out great. The pic's aren't that great but at night it gives the tank a cool blue shimmery glow (and its brighter than the pictures look also). Its nice I like it.

Cleaner Shrimp

IMG_0429.jpg

Moonlights

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

Moonlit tank

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

Okay wen to my LFS today and picked up my first piece of coral EVER. I got a small Xenia frag. I figured I'd start small and then work my way up. I placed him near the bottom of my tank but fired up all 8 of my T5 bulbs now since I read they need high lighting. I got some conflicting info from the LFS guy who said I don't need to feed them anything (b/c they'll filter feed and then live off the light as well). Is this true or should I spot feed him?

Here are some pic's:

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

I also picked up some formalin since I'm going to do a freshwater/medication dip on my wrasse since he's been scratching like crazy (but still eating like a pig). I think he may have fluke or something in his gills or some sort of parasite...Hopefully this'll work...If anyone has experience with this and can lend me a hand I'd really appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

no need to spot feed xenia..

I'm also interested in your treatment for parasites.. I think my blenny has a parasite, he's always scratching himself and looks anorexic but still eats fine..

I actually think my goby just caught a minor case of fin rot. I noticed something had taken a small bite out of his tail and a few days later it appeared to be infected. My plan now since my wrasse appears to have flukes (however has not hurt himself from scratching on the rocks, is still swimming fine, and is still eating like there is no tomorrow) is to allow the fish's immune system to run its course and I also plan on getting UV sterilizer at this point. I know a UV sterilizer won’t cure medical problems but I'm hoping it will be preventative and assist the fish's immune system in fighting off the remainder of their infection by themselves.

If this doesn't work and my fish appear to get worse I'm going to remove the Xenia from the tank and dose the display tank with API's Melafix. Its "supposed" to be coral and invert safe, but I'll remove the Xenia just in case. I'm not sure how my inverts will react to it (only have my CUC and cleaner shrimp at this point anyways). I'm going to do it this way b/c there is NO way I'm going to be able to catch any of my fish in my tank with over 100lb of rock for them to hide in and I’m not going to remove all the rock (stressing the heck out of everything, disrupting the levels of the tank, and possibly killing something by accident) in order to treat the tank.

I have had a thought in reference to treatment (and I'm not sure if it'll work or not lemme know what you guys think). Instead of having QT for fish keep one for corals/inverts (since they are A LOT easier to catch). If I do need to dose the tank with medication I'll just remove the corals (on their rocks if need be) put them in the QT and then dose the tank. Run activated carbon for a week or so after the dosing is complete then put the corals and inverts back in (the only invert I'd remove would be the cleaner shrimp at this point). Think that'll work?

I actually think my goby just caught a minor case of fin rot. I noticed something had taken a small bite out of his tail and a few days later it appeared to be infected. My plan now since my wrasse appears to have flukes (however has not hurt himself from scratching on the rocks, is still swimming fine, and is still eating like there is no tomorrow) is to allow the fish's immune system to run its course and I also plan on getting UV sterilizer at this point. I know a UV sterilizer won’t cure medical problems but I'm hoping it will be preventative and assist the fish's immune system in fighting off the remainder of their infection by themselves.

If this doesn't work and my fish appear to get worse I'm going to remove the Xenia from the tank and dose the display tank with API's Melafix. Its "supposed" to be coral and invert safe, but I'll remove the Xenia just in case. I'm not sure how my inverts will react to it (only have my CUC and cleaner shrimp at this point anyways). I'm going to do it this way b/c there is NO way I'm going to be able to catch any of my fish in my tank with over 100lb of rock for them to hide in and I’m not going to remove all the rock (stressing the heck out of everything, disrupting the levels of the tank, and possibly killing something by accident) in order to treat the tank.

I have had a thought in reference to treatment (and I'm not sure if it'll work or not lemme know what you guys think). Instead of having QT for fish keep one for corals/inverts (since they are A LOT easier to catch). If I do need to dose the tank with medication I'll just remove the corals (on their rocks if need be) put them in the QT and then dose the tank. Run activated carbon for a week or so after the dosing is complete then put the corals and inverts back in (the only invert I'd remove would be the cleaner shrimp at this point). Think that'll work?

i used melafix on my reef to treat my clown a few weeks ago to no ill effect, if that helps, had cleaner shrimp there too, hermits true crabs etc, nothing was lost

Sweet thanks...I was concerned it might hurt something...I figure for the time being I'll see if the fish can heal on his own but I like knowing I having other options to pursue if need be.

Okay so after much debate in my mind of, "What if a parasite gets into my tank and a fish gets sick and I can't get him out of the tank? Am I going to tear the rock work apart or just hope he gets better"...or worse..."What if a fish gets sick and begins to spread what he's got to other fish? What am I going to do?". And in addition to this a minor algae problem I finally broke down and bought a UV sterilizer. I went with the coral life turbo twist b/c it appeared to be the best bang for my buck (not knowing at the time I needed to buy a pump along with it but that problem was quickly solved). My original plan was to try to sterilizer the display tank water and then in turn put that same sterilized water back into my display tank. After realizing that this would result in a lot of unsightly tubing in my tank (and after some good {yes I know it's shocking} advice from my LFS owner) I decided to mount my sterilizer under my tank and sterilize the water in the sump. My original plan also was to screw the clamps into the support beams under my tank but I was worried I would A) go through the support beams and shatter the underside of my tank and B) the screw heads weren't big enough for the clamps so I decided to go with plan B which was to hang it using twine/rope. In addition to this I used a small mini jet 404 water pump to push the water through the sterilizer. I have the gph set at around 50-55 gph. Here are some pic's.

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so got some more coral and some more fish today. I picked up a small Lawnmower Blenny (to assist with my algae problem) a White Sleeper goby (to assist with stirring my sand bed since 2 of the 3 nassarius snails have disappeared) and the LFS owner offered me an AWSOME deal on a Galaxia so I picked that up also. It was a little sooner than I had planned for LPS but I'm relatively certain my tank can handle it. Anyways, on to pictures:

White Sleeper...Started stirring my sand bed shortly after I put him in the tank...I think he confuses my other fish though:

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

Lawnmower Blenny...This guy has tons of personality. He's tiny but I like him:

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

Galaxia Coral:

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

• 1 month later...

Great thread. Tank looks great. I am looking at a 100gallon Truvu tomorrow to combine both my BC29 and BC14. I really want more space and a few Tangs ;-)

Keep up the great thead, will be tagging along.

-jds

Great thread. Tank looks great. I am looking at a 100gallon Truvu tomorrow to combine both my BC29 and BC14. I really want more space and a few Tangs ;-)

Keep up the great thead, will be tagging along.

-jds

Thanks...I haven't updated this site in awhile. I added a Torch Coral a couple weeks ago and it appears to be doing well also.

Thanks...I haven't updated this site in awhile. I added a Torch Coral a couple weeks ago and it appears to be doing well also.

did u ever end up using melaflix?

great lookin tank, FTS time :D

• 5 months later...

Wow, that was a long wait for my reply.

Nope never used melaflix. All my fish are doing well but I've been really lazy about updating this page (have added several things but never put a photo up here).

Just added an Anthias the other day. Still waiting for his shyness to die down so that he will eat. *crosses fingers*.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, that was a long wait for my reply.

Nope never used melaflix. All my fish are doing well but I've been really lazy about updating this page (have added several things but never put a photo up here).

Just added an Anthias the other day. Still waiting for his shyness to die down so that he will eat. *crosses fingers*.

lol perfect timing actualy i havent been on here in ageess

funny that i was just considering a trio or quad of squamipinnis or something

my chromis are gettin a bit boring as the only schooling fish

I was toying with the idea of putting in a Chromis.

ther great fish but as the only fish that are always there its a bit boring id like anthias :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Obi Juan kenobi

What thickness acrylic did you use on your splash guard? What did you use to keep the magnets in place. Thanks in advance for the info B)

• 1 year later...
WhiteShark
What thickness acrylic did you use on your splash guard? What did you use to keep the magnets in place. Thanks in advance for the info B)

Wow, long wait for that reply (sorry haven't updated in a long time). Not sure of the thickness, I got whatever the thinnest piece I could find at Lowes was. The magnets I just glued into place (I suggest something strong than just crazy glue as I have to reattach them from time to time).

Archived