Pod Your Reef

What camera do u use?

jameson

Canon EOS D-60 (50mm Macro, 100mm Macro)

This shot is of a Ricordea in Cam Barrs 40gallon reef taken with the 100 mm Macro.

yumaMacro.jpg

Gil

ps. Maybe this should be in the photography forum or lounge?

You don't necessarily have to have anything fancy to take great pics. I use an older Canon PowerShot S10 digital camera and fiddle with white balance, etc to get the right shot.

purpricot1.jpg

I have a canon elph 230 and can't for the life of me get good photos of stuff in the tank. I try white balance adj., no flash, flash, light, no light. I stink.

Any advice jdsabini?

Originally posted by dickie52

"fiddle with white balance"

Can you see this change while looking at the LCD?

Yes I sure can see the difference in my LCD.

I use 'manual' mode, 'macro' setting, no flash and normally have white balance turned very low, and then press the shutter halfway on my subject (after I have zoomed on the subject at hand) to ensure it is focused correctly. This all takes place on a tripod so there is no camera movement. After I am confident that I am going to get something close to what I am looking for, I use the timer to snap the picture.

I hope that helps some!

squammy1.jpg

Here is a shot taken with my Sony Mavica. I don't use this camera much anymore since I have become very comfortable with my girlfriends d-60.

The d-60 (photo in last post) is a 6MP camera and the Mavica is a 3.3MP camera. The d-60 takes shots large enough to create very nice prints, and we actually have a bunch of reef photography hanging on our walls (including the previous ricordea shot).

greenbandedgoby.jpg

Gil

Canon G-3. I need to try jdsabin1's white balance adjustment, my pics always look overexposed. BTW, anyone know of a good digitial photography book?

I use a cheapo Casio camera. I LOVE the macro focus on it. It will focus at 1 cm

brain.jpg

BUT on the other hand.... It's only a 1.3 MP camera :( so printing is outa the picture.

ric.jpg

Anyone using a Fujifilm camera? I just bought one (the s5000) and cannot get any good macro shots. First off the white balance only has presets and not a manual white balance. Second, the camera will not focus on anything less than .3 ft (which is what the manual says, and it seems about right). .3ft is a good bit when you want to photograph something that is only a couple inches on the other side of the glass. Does anyone have any recommendations for this camera (or me since I am pretty inexperienced). Thanks, and the pics here are awesome.

Travis

First off the white balance only has presets

My casio has manual but I find that I get decent color if I set it to shade wich is one of the presets.

As for the distance, you could try some closeup filters but you may be out of luck there.

So far I'm not impressed with my Fuji camera - it was cheap - and it's only 1.3 megapixels - but the macro mode stinks.

I'm attaching a macro shot of my cleaner shrimp when he was in my pico tank.He's on the other side of a 5 gal hex. This is about the best I've been able to do - however I havn't messed with the white balance yet - I'll have to try that when I get home.

It seems like you have to keep the camera at least 2 - 3 in away from whatever you're taking a picture of.

They do make a lens for my camera that is supposed to take better macro shots. Maybe someone has one that would like to comment? My mom bought the s602(fuji) a good while before me and she really likes hers, but then again, she doesn't take have a tank, and that is where a camera is really put to the test.

I am happy with mine with two exceptions so far:

1. Macro capabilites

2. Manual white balance (although this is only a real issue on my nano which only has one 20000k bulb. The bulb is very blue compared to my 40 gal tank, but it is no where near what the pictures I take make it seem like.)

the camera takes very good pictures other than that (to my untrained eye at least, and with nothing to really compare to)

Archived