Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Wiring two float switches in a series?

GobyDude

I'm going to be setting up an battery powered air pump ATO in the next week or so. I'd like to set up two float switches in case the bottom fails. I've got a question about the wiring involved in this.

For one switch I know you splice into the cord going from the battery to the diaphram so you would cut the cord going from the battery to the diaphram and attach one side of the switch to the left side of this cut wire and the other side of the switch to the right side of the cut wire. In the diagram below, the A is the cut wire and the B is the float switch (the B-B connection is just the float switch itself):

A--B--B--A

For two switches would it just go like this? In the diagram below A is the cut wire in the air pump, B is the lower float switch, and C is the higher float switch used as an emergency cut off:

A--B--B--C--C--A

So the two switches would just be connected to each other and they would be in between the cut wire in the pump?

Sorry if this is confusing.

Thank you. I actually thought about it more this morning and it made more sense.

For anyone that would like to listen, basically the lower one is normally open so the circuit doesn't run. But as soon as the lower switch gets low enough it closes the circuit which turns on the pump. Meanwhile the upper switch is normally closed so it doesn't inhibit the circuit until you get the water up high enough which will close the circuit.

Thanks for the reply.

Archived