Top Shelf Aquatics

water change dosing?

jerzsky

i ve been reading around for a while and ive noticed some people dose kalc and calc in theyre water changes. why would this be done? cause when u change yor water your salt mix brings ur calc and trace back up to par...well mine does. just curious??? is there benefits to doing this? if so what would they be? thanx all!!!

i ve been reading around for a while and ive noticed some people dose kalc and calc in theyre water changes. why would this be done? cause when u change yor water your salt mix brings ur calc and trace back up to par...well mine does. just curious??? is there benefits to doing this? if so what would they be? thanx all!!!

kalc? Anyways, most people who do dose use 2 part dosers, for calcium and alkalinity. The people who dose are usually heavy with sps, which use the calium/alk up and the salt just doesn't have enough to replinish it. Don't dose if you don't tets though :D

I do this as well, i do it because it brings the levels up faster yet in a subtle way.. A water change replenishes lost minerals, so if your change water has enhancements the effect of more direct.. also most salt mixes are deficient in trace elements so this is a convenient way to supplement

at least thats what noticed

People that add Ca, Alk or Mg to thier freshly mixed water before adding it to the tank do so because thier salt is deficient in these. This is usually only an issue however when keeping hard corals that consume these 3. Adding Kalk to freshly mixed water is a BAD idea as it will prolly cause precipitation.

To sum it all up... it depends on what salt you're using and what you're keeping in your tank.

Some people dose because the LFS told them to, others dose because they have corals that deplete certain elements faster than others. The bottom line is, never dose for anything you are not also testing for.

Archived