Coral Vue Hydros

What is your favorite Goby?

heytootsy

We are starting are research for our 34 gallon tank, and my daughter loves Gobies. I am not sure if we will get a pistol shrimp, though, as I hear they can be a bit aggressive towards other shrimp (we already have 2 peppermint and a fire shrimp.)

So...what is your favorite kind of Goby?

Thanks

My favorite is the aurora goby. Commensal with a pistol shrimp, a sand sifter and a beautiful fish all in one!

We are starting are research for our 34 gallon tank, and my daughter loves Gobies. I am not sure if we will get a pistol shrimp, though, as I hear they can be a bit aggressive towards other shrimp (we already have 2 peppermint and a fire shrimp.)

Thanks

High fin goby or yasha hase goby paired up with a Randall's pistol shrimp (I know you said no to a pistol shrimp, but this guy stays tiny, doesn't bother anything and is fun and colourful too).

masterbuilder

Bottom dwelling: Yasha, second a Yellow Watchman

Swimming/perching: Trimma and Evoita (could have several of one or both)

The main problem with many of the bottom dwelling goby's is they have a tendency to hide and not be seen except at feeding time.

In a 34G...maybe Trimma sp., Evoitas, Green Banded, Gold Neon. Would be goby heaven, all stay tiny and you could easily have a few of each without any trouble in your tank.

+1 on the goby farm. You could definitely get a few of the smaller ones in there and have some variety.

I know you were asking about gobies, but I would also suggest some of smaller blennies as well. Linear or tailspot would be additions. I like gobies, and have a few, but I have found the blennies have just a little more personality once they are settled in.

Are the blennies peaceful? I read about how mean some of them can be.

+1 on the goby farm. You could definitely get a few of the smaller ones in there and have some variety.

I know you were asking about gobies, but I would also suggest some of smaller blennies as well. Linear or tailspot would be additions. I like gobies, and have a few, but I have found the blennies have just a little more personality once they are settled in.

masterbuilder
I like gobies, and have a few, but I have found the blennies have just a little more personality once they are settled in.

EXACTLY...I have had a Tail-Spot for almost 2 years now and it is the best little guy I have ever had. Get one of those and your daughter will forget about a goby. Guaranteed! A Tail Spot is a nice guy...peaceful and gets along with even the smallest goby. Some other blennies can be bullys, I dont have any experience with others though.

Mark

p.s. I am a goby lover myself....have a few.

angelacbishop

Rainfords gobies are a really gorgeous addition to consider too. Also masked gobies are another tiny one that you could have a few of. Sealifeinc.net carries those. And I agree with everyone on the blennies. No tank should be without one! As an added bonus they eat algae too.

I wouldn't worry about a pistol shrimp paired up with a goby being aggressive. I think only the kind that don't pair up are mean. Mine lives with 3 peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp and I've never seen any issues. They're blind and mostly just follow along with their antenna on their goby or hang out in their hole. Very cool to watch! Mine is a tiger pistol paired up with a yellow watchman.

I love my Yellow Watchman Goby. He's thus far my first and only fish. He's paired with a pistol too. He's ridiculously shy, though, your girl might want something that's a little more visible in the tank (:

I have a yellow watchman and a citron goby.The citron is always a laugh.He steals food from my two clowns at every feeding.He also hangs ut with my yellow watchman quite a bit which i thought was neat.I think he was the best 6 dollar fish money can buy.

100_0464.jpg

bluegrizzlies1

I have a tiger pistol paired with a yasha goby never had any problems with my pistol. I have 2 sexy shrimps and a cleaner shrimp doesnt even bother them.

Yasha and randall's pistol, I just paired my little girl up with a pistol again, they'll only kill hermits, not shrimp. Vey fun to watch too.

So...if I did get a watchman goby and a pistol, could I still get a blenny, or would they fight.

Also, when you have a school of the little gobies, how does that affect the bioload? Would 2 fish count as 1 then???

+1 to the Neon Goby. They arent very active, but they look great and eating parasites off of other fish is always a bonus. He keeps my clown clean (even though the clown seems like she hates it)

Thanks

Rainford's goby

But, remember that rainford's gobies are just like mandarins: they rarely will eat introduced foods, so you need to have plenty of their natural diet, which in the rainford's case is filamentous (aka hair) algae.

Archived