Pod Your Reef

10 gallon 1 month

lgoins

I added about 10 lbs of live rock, wondering if anyone likes the new aquascaping. This tank is slowly getting things added to it. I am on a tight budget so stocking is going very slow. Upgrading the lights very soon to a 24 inch 65 watt coralife. Here are the specs:

10 gallon acrylic

2 - 10W Powercompacts daylight 6500 k

1 18 watt NO 50/50 coralife bulb

Powersweep 214 for water movement

HOB filter with sea gel, also for water movement

20 lbs live sand

10 lbs live rock

Inhabitants:

5 small hermit crabs (1 is albino)

2 black turbo snail's

1 False percula

Natural Filtration method via the live rock sand. I do a water change once a week, and test for nitrates, nitrites, pH, and ammonia bi-weekly.

Looking good. Once you get the cash I'd go for a 2x36w or 1x96w setup if you're looking to expand your corals. BTW there are a few frag trading groups around NC once you start wanting more corals. If you make it to Charlotte sometime LMK and I'll have some free Xenia for you. I wouldn't test everday as it's a waste of the tests. I'd test a couple times a week if not just once a week unless the tank doesn't look right.

Good start. No need to stock fast, pic your pieces carefully because you don't have a lot of real estate to work with.

Upgrade your lights with more watts and maybe an actinic bulb also.

The pictures are somewhat dark, because there was some glare from the camera I was using. I deepend the contrast in a photo shop before posting, tankis actually much brighter. As for the coral trading groups in NC, I am very interested. I also have a 29 gallon reef tank that is doing quite well at home in Mount Airy. I have also been wanting some xenia for my tank at home, but the lfs there is small and therefore only gets coral in every so often. Here is a pic of my 29:

By the way, as for an upgrade in lighting, I can get the coralife 28 watt power compact for 40$. I know I'm cheap. Would this be enough lighting to keep xenias? Maybe a frogspawn?

My 10g just finished cycling and I have the 28 watt coralife and I would also like to know if this is enough light to keep a frogspawn and xenia!

PS, your tank looks great so far lgoins!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I go to Chapel Hill, but as of right now, nothing to trade. Just started my tank at the beginning of the school year, and I'm taking it very slowly. I have a very limited budget. I was wondering what the name of the store in raleigh you go to. I go to a place in durham, that has a descent selection of coral and the prices aren't too bad either. But there certainly not as low as what you paid for those zoos. I looked at your tank, impressive rock work. Do you have any updated photos??

I no longer have any desires to put a 28 watt pc fixture on my tank. I think I'm going to put a 65 watter on there. The pics of my tank on here look nothing like it does now, I've added about 10 #'s of live rock and a couple of mushrooms.

Originally posted by ELGORDOINAVW

dude 28 watts? what? lps? in a 10 gal? hell no are you kidding me?

not all "LPS" require a "high light" environment bud.

hey adinsxq, hey bud so you mean to tell me that a frogspawn will do good in a 10 gal under 28 watts? if thats what you think then o.k. bud.

depending on placement, a lot of things will live under 2.8 watts of light. This will also include anemones, Ive seen roses at my lfs grow under 2x65 watts of light.... in a 75gal tank! But from personal experience my blastomussa grew perfectly fine under a little ledge in my minibow with 32watts of light. I believe if placed high, a frogspawn will do okay as well.

CJM,

I have 89 Watts over my 10 gallon. Is this not enought to keep a small clam? Well, to be honest, it's not over my 10 gallon yet as I'm just now building the hood. I want to eventually be able to have 1 small clam, and I was under the impression that 8.9 Watts per gallon was enough.

Thanks!

sorry if i didnt clay i meant under the 96 watt he couldnt keep most sps and clams as a beginner, but after some expeiernce he could keep some sps and a clam. theres quite a few members on here that keep sps and clams under 96 watt pc's,Chris

Archived