Coral Vue Hydros

100% water change

ermartin

Yes it works, but I don't do it unless I need to push the reset button chemistry wise (Not a fix all mind you)

Calfo did this for a long time including his larger tanks iirc... until the big one crashed.

Oh and didn't bother reading past the first RC post.

I don't think it's any different than the movement of water in a given space in natural reefs. As long as the salinity and temperature are the same, there shouldn't be any problem other than the logistics of keeping the fish underwater.

The Propagator

Free floating bacter. what it takes to reform that bacter, and the shock the system goes under to repopulate that bacter.

er1c_the_reefer

yea i read that post over here on NR too. i think it was from D2rhino or something, the lighting guru guy. while i agree that more water changes are good, i'd have to add an addendum: 100% water changes isn't a bad idea if: you do it over a longer than standard period of time and if you can match the new water parameters to a fairly close level to the old water, as to avoid system shock. if you can meet those 2 criteria, then go for it, HOWEVER, it's imho that the need for 100% water changes is excessive given cost, work involved, and viable alternative methods of nutrient export and trace mineral replacement.

fwiw, as i recall, i believe the reason calfo did 100% water changes was because he was trying to grow out acans and were feeding them massive amounts multiple times daily.

Archived