SaltCritters.com

LED retrofit adventure!

Marteen

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what do you mean by tinned the wires?

You put solder on the wire before you solder it to the pad. Makes life a lot easier.

Looks great.

Thanks! :D

what do you mean by tinned the wires?

tinning wires is the almost the same process as tinning the tip of your solder iron. You heat the wire with the solder iron and place your solder on the wire opposite the iron until the heat draws the solder onto the wire. Once the copper wire has gone from copper to silver you stop, don't put too much on just enough to coat the wire. Then you perform the same process on the LED tabs and place a small amount of solder on the tabs. This makes it really easy to join the wire and LED because now all you have to do is place the wire on the LED and heat it and use a tiny bit of solder to finish the joint.

Looks awesome! It's inspiring me to get my NC12 LED/PC combo up and running.

Thanks! Do it! Go all LED it will look awesome! :happy:

tinning wires is the almost the same process as tinning the tip of your solder iron. You heat the wire with the solder iron and place your solder on the wire opposite the iron until the heat draws the solder onto the wire. Once the copper wire has gone from copper to silver you stop, don't put too much on just enough to coat the wire. Then you perform the same process on the LED tabs and place a small amount of solder on the tabs. This makes it really easy to join the wire and LED because now all you have to do is place the wire on the LED and heat it and use a tiny bit of solder to finish the joint.

Ah ok, makes sense. Thanks!

Hi Marteen, the LED looks really neat with the Nova fixture, what mechanism did you use to fix the heatsink inside the fixture? I have a nova extreme pro and plan to do the same LED retrofit.

Hi Marteen, the LED looks really neat with the Nova fixture, what mechanism did you use to fix the heatsink inside the fixture? I have a nova extreme pro and plan to do the same LED retrofit.

I didn't use anything I just slid it in there. However, I did use some leftover optics I had laying around and some epoxy putty and made like a shelf for the heatsink to stand on so it was elevated above the plastic splash cover to give my optics room to sit. If I didn't have optics I could probably have just slid the heatsink directly into the fixture no problem. I think you can see what I did in one of the pics I posted but I can take some more later.

Did u sit the heatsink on the splash board? That's really thin, at least mine is. Or is it sit on the bottom edge of the fixture?

I didn't use anything I just slid it in there. However, I did use some leftover optics I had laying around and some epoxy putty and made like a shelf for the heatsink to stand on so it was elevated above the plastic splash cover to give my optics room to sit. If I didn't have optics I could probably have just slid the heatsink directly into the fixture no problem. I think you can see what I did in one of the pics I posted but I can take some more later.
Did u sit the heatsink on the splash board? That's really thin, at least mine is. Or is it sit on the bottom edge of the fixture?

On the bottom edge of the fixture. The splash board is definitely too thin to support the heat sink, plus you would be putting pressure on the LED lenses which would be bad. If you look at the pictures I posted of the buckpucks you can see where I used one of my extra optics to create a platform to support the heatsink. I would have used acrylic to make something but I had extra optics and I just went with those. You know now that I think about it Lego pieces would have worked just as well superglued or epoxied to the fixtures bottom edge.

just saw that, thx for sharing.

On the bottom edge of the fixture. The splash board is definitely too thin to support the heat sink, plus you would be putting pressure on the LED lenses which would be bad. If you look at the pictures I posted of the buckpucks you can see where I used one of my extra optics to create a platform to support the heatsink. I would have used acrylic to make something but I had extra optics and I just went with those. You know now that I think about it Lego pieces would have worked just as well superglued or epoxied to the fixtures bottom edge.

Archived