Coral Vue Hydros

acrylic workers

jming38

i want to build a refugium out of acrylic and have read that some of you have done this...

any tips? such as, easiest way to:

cut the pieces, glueing the pieces together...  etc.

it all depends on how well of a job you want to do

If you want top quality by an plexi specific blade the one I bought cost $70 and they go into the hundreds you can get away with $10 multi material blades but get the flatest one 0 offset,teeth that are flat with the center of the blade and use some type of lubricant,wax,oil something to keep the blade from melting to the plexi,there are  2 basic types of glue thick and thin,thins good from when you have clean cuts the thick you can make with shavings and adding to thin to make a slurry type this is good for filling in, clamps wise use very little pressure just enough to hold the pieces together and to squeeze air bubbles out,you can use a eye dropper but I use a thin needle type bottle gives better control

remember when gluing the joint is like a wik and you dont want it dripping out ,they have plexi glass prep solutions that work good ,some people use rubbing alcohol to clean before gluing remember to leave the paper on as long as you can,cut paper away from the joint but leave enough to protect the center, minor scratches can be buffed out with either fine ass sand paper or specific compound,I like the compounds alot harder to makes mistakes again cost is always a factor

all depends what you want to do,I make custom plexi tanks for me,and friends and still learning, dont forget ask questions at your local plexi supplier most are more than willing to help ,any more questions just ask I'm sure Chris can even give you pointers

Archived