ReefCleaners.org

is this normal of live rock when starting cycle?

unsped

just setup my 12gallon nano cube, 12.5lbs of live sand, 11.5lbs of live rock 2/3 fiji, 1/3 tonga. i am using salt water from my lsf.

anyways when i first setup the tank it cleared up in a few hours, the pump was making some noise so that night i took the pump out and put it back in, it disturbed the tank somewhat and became a little cloudy.

today i woke up and the tank is cloudy (which i understand isn't abnormal for cycling). but some of the live rock looks pretty gross, kinda like white cobweb/spore's.

my roomate bought an identical setup with rock from the same tank etc... today his tank is crystal clear and the live rock looks fine. im not worried about the cloudy tank, but the live rock concerns me.

here are some pics of the stuff in question.

pic1

pic2

here is what the rock looked like yesterday

pic3

This can happen with roch that suffers in shipment, you're seeing the normal effects of die-off and cycling.

I would do four things:

1. Cut back the lighting to no more than 4-6 hours per day for 2 weeks. You have ideal conditions (lots of nutrient being liberated into the water) for a very troublesome algae bloom. Lights out (except when observing the reef) for the first week of cycle is not a bad idea.

2. Sizable water changes (25-40%) every 2-3 days for at least the first week. This will help export the dieoff products before they foul the tank.

3. Use a turkey baster or a powerhead-fed hose to spray off the surface of the live rock before you take out water for a water change. You want to blast free as much junk as possible, and try to siphon out as much of the chunky stuff as possible.

4. For now, reduce SG to 1.020 - 1.022 to reduce the growth rate of algae and other nuisance organisms. This will not have a bad effect over the short term (less than 6 months.) Later, raise it back to 1.023 - 1.025

*sigh*

thanks for the info, i will do as you suggest. kind of annoying i must admit, i almost want to just replace the rock in question, but i imagine this is something good to learn and do in case it happens again with another tank.

A better idea is to put the live rock in a separate bucket of saltwater and scrub the dieoff off with a new toothbrush. That way you won't get any of that junk trapped in the substrate.

i actually took the rock back to the lfs and swapped it out for a healthier one, besides being healthy it fits the tanks alot better!

im glad i did, the new rock is already showing alot of life sponges/featherdusters etc..

Archived