ReefCleaners.org

To R/O or not?

nyfishguy

the water in NYC has no nitrates right out of the tap....so the questions is do i let the water sit out in a jug overnight for my 34 gallon or do i spend the money and get a R/O unit??

hmmmm.....what do you think?

RO

there are a lot of other things in tap water that can hurt a reef. Such as metals like copper. It is more than nitrates that you need to watch out for, the TDS needs to be almost 0.

actually the phosphates aren't bad either....but letting the water sit for 24 hours woulden't get rid of the heavy metals in the water?? or at least some of them?

actually the phosphates aren't bad either....but letting the water sit for 24 hours woulden't get rid of the heavy metals in the water?? or at least some of them?

no, it won't. Some get by with tap, "most" have really bad algae outbreaks. The best thing is RO/DI, I would hate to see you risk the investment in corals just to save a few dollars.

Use RO/DI. The price really isn't bad (even eBay 5 stages with DI can be had for under $100).

I'm one of the lucky ones that does not get a huge algae outbreak or anything using just tap water. LUCKY being the key point of that statement.

does water come w/ nitrates?

It usually does, with the nitrate leaching in from other sources. You can check your county water and sewer website for a water quality report.

True, phosphates are technically a micronutrient needed for the coral's to continue healthy growth, but levels too high contribute to algae growth.

Also, letting the water sit for any period of time will not get rid of the metals.

any specific water filter in mind??

Any 3 or 4 stage RO filter will do. I got mine for 130 on Drs Foster and Smith. 4 stage, includes DI, 35 gpd.

ill have a little extra money tomorrow.....was thinking about ordering the mighty-mite....it's only 120 with shipping....what do you think?

ill have a little extra money tomorrow.....was thinking about ordering the mighty-mite....it's only 120 with shipping....what do you think?

I think it's $120 shipped not including the DI filter for a 50 GPD unit when you can get the Filter Direct Unit with the DI already included that's 6 stage and rated up to 110 GPD for a little more. But, it's up to you.

this might mite? $110 w/DI

that one is $124 shipped. I didn't see that one, I saw the one w/o DI for a bit less than $120 including shipping. Like I said to the OP, it's your call. Me personally, I can only tell you how pleased I have been with my Filter Direct unit and I do not think you would regret spending a a little more for it.

Archived