inTank Media Baskets

quesitons - Coraline, dying snails, unidentified hermit

JEBoothjr

Hello, I'm a nooB...

I have a couple questions. My tank has bee up since June 17.

I'm having the hardest time keeping snails they are all dying. Everything else is happy. I first attributed it to a grumpy hermit, but due to poetic justice and the molting process, he's no more and the are still dying. I have an unidentifed hermit, whom I call "Trailer Crab" - he changes homes all of the time. He recently was eating a snail and is now in the shell, but the snail seemed to be doing bad before that happened - he was on the bottom, upside down a couple of times. I've had a total of maybe 8-10 snails (not all at once) since I started and now I have one left.

"Trailer Crab" is a fairly new addition and snails were dying before that. Pink coraline is growing rampant. I guess it's good, but it grows fast and there is a lot of it. Do the snails eat it? I was wondering if maybe they were starving. I recently added new lighting a week ago, as well.

I attached a pic of my tank over the past few months. You can definitely notice the strong coraline growth. Any clues about my poor snails.

-Tank:

Eclipse 6

Bio Wheel filter is in use.

ALWAYS Distilled water

Reef Crystals salt

New Lighting - 1 - Coralife Slimeline light with 15W 50/50 bulb (I have 2, but will add the other when I take out the filter)

CAP-200 pump

- Livestock:

clown fish

blenny

peppermint shrimp

blue hermit

scarlet hermit - had 2, but 1 died

unidentified hermit (was supposed to be a blue hermit)

1 astrea snail (left)

live rock 10-12 lbs.

live sand - crushed coral 4 lbs.

feather duster

zooanthid

Archived